SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a hole in my centre box and need it replaced. I was wondering about fitting a straight through pipe as mine is a 1988 model which I believe allows me to do this without breaking the law. I'm not after extra performance, I'm simply worried about replacing it and then damaging the new one soon after (I live in an area where there are quite a few speed humps that scrape the box even at very slow speeds and my girlfriends parents live down an unmade road that bashes it about too - probably what caused the problem in the first place).
My question is - how much noisier would this make the car? I'm more concerned by any extra noise at start-up and low revs as I'm not happy about waking the neighbours when I have an early start or come home late.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
It is not much different in terms of loudness, although the note is definitely deeper. No-one has ever said mine was noisy, but a couple of people have told me how nice it sounds, including my neighbour (although he lives half a mile away :D )

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Classic 900s are notorious for failing the speed bump test ... and unmade road test ... I had the mid-muffler removed on my last 900 (which was a 1985 900i), along with a complete new exhaust. After the carbon had built up a little, it sounded fine. Brand new, it was a little "pitty" and "poppy", but no louder than previously.

I'm about to remove the mid-muffler on my current 1989 900 T8. TBH, I'm hoping for exactly what Jezzadee describes - a slightly deeper tone, but not especially louder.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I removed my front box about 2 years ago & its like Jezza & Orca have said, its a tad louder, but not a lot :roll:

when I go the 3" stainless steel route, delete the cast 90 deg elbow on the turbo I will notice the difference then :cool: :cool:

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts