SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sorry to hear. I think there's one dude stealing c900s in Seattle. Every so often, another gets taken. Gorper's may have been the last, a few months ago. Hopefully yours'll turn up soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will make a special effort to look out for it in my travels around Seattle. I'm very sorry to hear of your car being taken.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the sticky.

I've filed a stolen vehicle report and called around to the major tow places; still nothing. I'm pretty skeptical that I'll see it again; it'll be parted out so make more money than the car itself is worth...

Thanks for the concern and yes, if anyone sees something around that just may be it, please let me know...

Distinguishing features:
- only one rear mudflap; passenger side
- primer over most of the roof
- round black and white roller derby sticker to the left of the rear license plate
- 'Turbo' badge only on the driver's side, missing from the passenger side and rear deck

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thanks a lot for the sticky.

I've filed a stolen vehicle report and called around to the major tow places; still nothing. I'm pretty skeptical that I'll see it again; it'll be parted out so make more money than the car itself is worth...

Thanks for the concern and yes, if anyone sees something around that just may be it, please let me know...

Distinguishing features:
- only one rear mudflap; passenger side
- primer over most of the roof
- round black and white roller derby sticker to the left of the rear license plate
- 'Turbo' badge only on the driver's side, missing from the passenger side and rear deck
I doubt it's being parted out. My guess is it's sitting in a neighborhood somewhere abandoned. Eventually someone will take an interest and call it in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stolen Saabs

You are the third person I know in the Ballard, Fremont, Greenlake area to have thier 900 STOLEN! They all show up in the Greenwood Aurora area. I found my friend Holm's on Greenwood and 107th next to BICKS. Then he sold it to scanwest and 2 weeks later the guy who ended up with it had it stolen from him! Its got to me the same Ahole! Anyone feel like donating a sting car and setting up a camera?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You are the third person I know in the Ballard, Fremont, Greenlake area to have thier 900 STOLEN! They all show up in the Greenwood Aurora area. I found my friend Holm's on Greenwood and 107th next to BICKS. Then he sold it to scanwest and 2 weeks later the guy who ended up with it had it stolen from him! Its got to me the same Ahole! Anyone feel like donating a sting car and setting up a camera?
Crwchf01, you reading this? Know anyone in the Seattle PD? Maybe they could temporarily convert one of your fleet into a bait car.

I agree with aeroman9000 - it's probably the same person each time. Would be nice to catch him. :nono;

EDIT: Must be the same Holm I met at the Issaquah meet!

·
Registered
97 Posts
stolen

Oh BTW the guy who ended up with Holm's car lives in the same greenlake neighborhood as Holm. And the fellow who bought my 900 lives in Freemont and had his SPG stolen. I know its the same guy, to many saabs all in the same area and none parted just driven rummaged thru and dumped.

If it where me I would look from 125th to 105th between 3rd and aurora two have been recovered there. Maybe do a saabs on patrol day and just drive around the hood and meet up at DICKS on Holman?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Spider et al

Hi,
Really sorry to hear that!

Here are some ideas that helped me and others when being in the same situation.
a. I'd repost the same post on craigslist. Normally people who are searching for a certain car keep their eyes open for this model all the time - so they are likely to see it if they'd pass it.

b.It might be an idea to have yourself a little spider programmed to regularly crawl through the whole of craigs list and other websites and to thereby keep yourself updated on Saabs offered for sale. You should reduce the critera to basics (colour, model, make) that anyone can tell from seeing the car.
And don't say its unlikely that someone is offering the car there: I got a beetle back exactly that way. "As is - part out beetle." Claimed he had it from a pick&pull, project car, parts, thus no pink slip. Junkies...

c. A friend of mine actually gave the guys at the junk yards in the area some cash and his card, which helped too... They called him instantaneously when his car was offered.

Good luck!!
Jil

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gah, just checked the thread for the first time in a bit. Yep, I'm at 80th and 24th NW; I'm going to do a sweep today between here and Home Depot, I think. Thanks a lot for the continued comments and tips.

Jil that's a great idea of scraping CL; I've been watching Seattle's but never thought to automate a wider net...

I'll update anything comes up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I got a call from Seattle PD around 11am this morning saying they found it on 80th and 31st NW - seven blocks west of my house... For fear of it getting moved again, I left work early to go check it out and get it home.

When I got to my car, the first thing I noticed was a (I'm assuming based on the prevalence of moss) non-running '85 or newer 2-Door 900 Turbo sitting in the driveway of the shuttered up house my car was left out in front of... What the hell...

My car looked to be pretty untouched from the outside except for some gouges in the paint on the passenger front door. The cops said to call them if I see anyone hanging around my car or if there was anything left in it that wasn't mine, so I looked through the windows and sure enough there was a bunch of not-my-crap in there: a backpack, a foldable hand truck thingy, a broom, a smaller bag, jumper cables, a gas can, and miscellaneous other bits of junk. The package shelf was all busted up and I could see door weatherstripping pulled back from the drivers rear door. Called the cops back without touching anything with the hope that they'd find something identifying in there and maybe at least knock on the door of the Saab owner's house.

Waited for a cop for over an hour and when one got there it was 'what stuff isn't yours? OK, I'll take it and put it in abandoned property... you want this gas can? if not, I'm just going to put it in a dumpster...' He took a quick peek in the backpack and there's a wig(!), a ladies handbag/purse, and what looked like some clothes. That's all it was though, a quick peek... then into his trunk and away to 'abandoned property'...

When I pointed out the 900 in the driveway he said 'huh, that's funny...' He did run the plates on it and they came back clean so... whatever, I guess. Seems a little fishy to me but I'm not a cop.

Luckily no windows were smashed. The drivers door lock and the ignition switch are a little janky now, but still operable. The ashtray is gone, the package shelf is ruined, the trim around the inside driver's door-opener is gone... pretty minor stuff I suppose. The battery was nearly dead so I jumped it with my wife's car and got it going. The only thing I noticed when driving it to the gas station and home was a slight pull to the right; I'll check into that when it's done raining...

That's where I stand now. Glad to have my car back. Thanks all for the good vibes and advice.

My next post will detail the one bit of incriminating evidence I'm sure the cops will have absolutely no interest in...

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
So what, why wasn't....I don't understand.

Had they already questioned the owner of the car in the driveway or the home it was parked in front of? It ain't Boston. It's quite unique, I would say in Seattle, that it was in the controllable area of a home with similar vintage Saab in the driveway.

So glad you've gotten your car back. Sorry about the damage done to it. I know we can't expect Cops to do everything. I know you're asking the same questions.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Glad you got it back ;ol;

That's a pretty weird list of abandoned property in your car...
Regrettably the bottom line is "nobody was maimed, you got your car back, this case is closed". You'd need to have the car thief begging to confess to get the cops attention now.

Probably the only really useful device would be one of the gps transmitters parents use to monitor their kids use of the car. The gps can transmit directly to (via internet) your PC or cell phone so you'd know real time where your car is...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So, after the cop left, I instantly wished I wouldn't have had him take the crap that was left in the car since he didn't look at it for more than 30 seconds, wasn't taking it as 'evidence', and it was obvious that the cops weren't going to do anything but dump it. For my own peace of mind and sense of justice, I wanted to see if I could use it to know who the thief is and hopefully ensure I don't have to worry about my car getting taken any more (at least by the same person).

BUT - As I was waiting for my wife to come for a jump start, I was looking through the various bits of trash in the car and seeing what all, if anything, was missing. Sure enough, right under my feet is a receipt...

Dated Feb 22nd, 2013 (car was stolen the night of Feb 14th and recovered today, March 7th) from the Salvation Army down on 4th Ave. VISA charge for $38.50.

<Name Removed>

Did a quick Google search when I got home and got three addresses in Seattle on '<Name Removed>', two of which are less than 3 miles from my house and, as others have noted, very close to the Greenwood/Greenlake/Aurora areas where there's been quite a few other Saab thefts:

<Address Removed>
<Address Removed>

The third address is in Alki/W. Seattle.

<Address Removed>

Either this is the guy that stole my car or he's a victim of a credit/debit card theft; my gut feeling is the former. Anyone know the guy?

Attaching pics of the strange-coincidence(?)-Saab and the incriminating receipt.

For all you folks up here north of the Ship Canal, keep an eye on your car...

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Seems pretty obvious there's a connection between your stolen 900, the house with the moss-covered Saab in the driveway and Mr. Mercure. I'm rather disturbed by the downright apathy exhibited by the SPD. Did you ever speak directly to a detective at your precinct, rather than just a patrol officer? Don't they have a special auto theft unit? Perhaps if you had a $60,000 BMW or Mercedes stolen instead of a 27-year old Saab, they might have shown a keener interest in your case?

I for one am going to display a note in my Saab plainly addressed to xxxxxxxxxxxe to inform him that should he attempt to steal my car, I know exactly who he is, where he lives and to expect a visit from the local Gendarmes shortly after stealing MY Saab!

Glad you've been reunited with your baby.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts