SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new here. I am here to try to learn more about the Saab 9-3 as I plan to own a 2002 in the future. I have been searching everywhere but I can not seem to find the stock times for a 2002 9-3 SE 5-door. Also, I am not sure wether to go for a manual or automatic. The main reason I would go for manual would be if the performance differences really varied that much, or else I would be fine with automatic. So does anyone know the stock 0-60 times for an automatic and manual 2002 9-3 SE 5-door? Thanks everyone. By the way, I love these forums. Take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Boove43 said:
Hello everyone. I am new here. I am here to try to learn more about the Saab 9-3 as I plan to own a 2002 in the future. I have been searching everywhere but I can not seem to find the stock times for a 2002 9-3 SE 5-door. Also, I am not sure wether to go for a manual or automatic. The main reason I would go for manual would be if the performance differences really varied that much, or else I would be fine with automatic. So does anyone know the stock 0-60 times for an automatic and manual 2002 9-3 SE 5-door? Thanks everyone. By the way, I love these forums. Take care.
I have a 2002 9-3 SE 5-Door and its a manual, so let me tell you this, you'll love it, don't take a 2nd thought on it. As for 0-60 times, let me put it this way, a 03 Tiburon is about ~6 seconds, well I had a run with one and beat him, I think it was 2nd gear that I killed him in, or maybe it was thrid it happened pretty fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
StealThisName said:
I have a 2002 9-3 SE 5-Door and its a manual, so let me tell you this, you'll love it, don't take a 2nd thought on it. As for 0-60 times, let me put it this way, a 03 Tiburon is about ~6 seconds, well I had a run with one and beat him, I think it was 2nd gear that I killed him in, or maybe it was thrid it happened pretty fast.
I see. So it is pretty quick then. The thing is I wanted to go more for an automatic, but I don't want it to feel sluggish like alot of automatics out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, I know this is not the proper subforum for this, but how are the 2002 9-3 Se 5 doors when it comes to reliability? I would probley get one with around 30-40K miles on it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Saab autos are not slow (especially not when modified) just ask me... or rico ;) Reliability is good, but beware of the more normal problems (aka DIC-Direct Ignition Cassette) and run synthetic oil to eliminate any chance of sludging.

Check out Cleve's FAQ in the top of the workshop forum for all the more 'normal' problems and maintinence.

Btw, Rico is running 220whp w/o software. (i have yet to dyno ;oops: )

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
From what I can tell so far they are reliable, but you need to keep up on the maintenence(much like any car, but a little more touchy because of the turbo and such). I have had some minor irritations so far with mine, but nothing major, and the only thing that can be considered "typical" is a little bit of leaking out of my main seal. It really started when I switched to synthetic, but actually seems to be slowing down a bit of late. Thing is though that I have not noticed any significant oil loss so far(enough to make me put more in).

These are my experiences in a month of owning the car, so my experiences could be a-typical.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
220whp.. i just put my smbc back in so i should dyno soon ... now i need to se what else can be done.. hahha throttle body spacer sometime in the next few weeks when i have time... also with my auto i ran a 15.2 @94mph... NOT STOCK

·
Registered
221 Posts
i would go with the manual, but auto isn't all that bad either. i believe that saab is a turbo, and with an auto, it is almost better. this allows you to spoil (i suck at spelling, but rev up the turbo pretty much) quicker then in manual. this lets you have less turbo lag. so you'll have a better jump off the line in a auto then in a manual, i believe. i still new here, too, so i might be wrong.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i'd also go with a manual but just because i don't like my car telling me when i want to shift! German is on the right track... the auto will be a bit faster because it doesn't dump all the boost pressure in between gears like a manual does. but then you miss out on the cool "whoosh" sound! :nono;

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
DaGerman said:
i would go with the manual, but auto isn't all that bad either. i believe that saab is a turbo, and with an auto, it is almost better. this allows you to spoil (i suck at spelling, but rev up the turbo pretty much) quicker then in manual. this lets you have less turbo lag. so you'll have a better jump off the line in a auto then in a manual, i believe. i still new here, too, so i might be wrong.
I'm not sure this is true... Maybe you'll have some advantage in not 'dumping boost' if the auto shifts quicker than the manual (I'm not sure it does, but perhaps someone who has driven both can chime in) A manual has all of the control of an auto and more. If it doesnt shift fast enough to keep you from dumping boost, you can get a short shift kit.

Two things ARE certain about automatics: 1. they have more transmission loss than a manual car. This means that some of the power you have is lost as it is transmitted to the wheels. 2. SAAB automatics cannot handle as much torque as manual cars. So if you decide to give it more power later, like through a new ECU, you will have to specify the automatic version, which gives you less torque than the manual version in general to save the tranny.

·
Registered
221 Posts
NCviggen said:
i'd also go with a manual but just because i don't like my car telling me when i want to shift! German is on the right track... the auto will be a bit faster because it doesn't dump all the boost pressure in between gears like a manual does. but then you miss out on the cool "whoosh" sound! :nono;
yeah, i love the manual. love the whooshing and the DOWNSHIFT!!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fast_Ed said:
I'm not sure this is true... Maybe you'll have some advantage in not 'dumping boost' if the auto shifts quicker than the manual (I'm not sure it does, but perhaps someone who has driven both can chime in) A manual has all of the control of an auto and more. If it doesnt shift fast enough to keep you from dumping boost, you can get a short shift kit.

Two things ARE certain about automatics: 1. they have more transmission loss than a manual car. This means that some of the power you have is lost as it is transmitted to the wheels. 2. SAAB automatics cannot handle as much torque as manual cars. So if you decide to give it more power later, like through a new ECU, you will have to specify the automatic version, which gives you less torque than the manual version in general to save the tranny.
really?? i thought there would be a fair amount less of turbo lag with the auto cuz of the dumping boost. i'm not to sure though. you seem to know what you are talking about. and yeah, i have notice that auto have less torque the the manual. i wonder why?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
less turbo lag in an auto, and the torque is limited by software so i dont see any worries... my car handles it fine.. abduckted has the stage 1 ecu that i think adds more torque than i have and again his auto is fine.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
As I see it just get whatever transmision you want. Neither is perfect, but they both work.

As for all the boost dumping talk, gauge in my car and I don't think it is possible to shift fast enough to save any boost at all. I do have an aftermarket BOV, but the needle drops from 15 psi to 20 Vac very very quickly.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
DaGerman said:
really?? i thought there would be a fair amount less of turbo lag with the auto cuz of the dumping boost. i'm not to sure though. you seem to know what you are talking about. and yeah, i have notice that auto have less torque the the manual. i wonder why?
Well, Rico has more experience with turbo automatics than I do, and he says it doesnt dump boost. Maybe those slushboxes shift faster than I remember...

·
Registered
733 Posts
i was planing on running my 9-3 last night but couldnt becasue of bad breaks. took the 9k aero and did a 15.2. not bad considering i had a pretty ****ty start.

ben

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Fast_Ed said:
Well, Rico has more experience with turbo automatics than I do, and he says it doesnt dump boost. Maybe those slushboxes shift faster than I remember...
Regardless of how fast an Auto shifts it won't loose boost since you don't let off the gas when it is shifting. Foot stays down, throttle body stays open, and air continues to pump through the system generating boost. That is unless the ECU forces a BOV to dump boost during a shift.

Not being an auto transmission expert, I can't go into the details, but a hard and fast shift is better and easier on your auto trans. Less "slush" is occuring and less wear and tear occurs when the shift is quick. Thats what a shift kit is designed to do, speed up the shifts so an auto can perform better and handle more power. During a slow an leasurly shift, the energy is wasted and heats up the tranny increasing wear. A fast shift means the power is pushed on to the wheels as soon as possible.

As for the Auto vs. Tranny debate, I'd go with the one you prefer, and don't worry about speed. I prefer a manual, but really I only do WOT shifting where I burn into second once or twice a week, and its never timed. On the other hand, I sit in traffic about 20 minutes a day!!:eek:

Tboy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also I heard this from the guy I bought my car from, don't take this to the bank but he told me to go with the manual because in automatic the turbo is limited to 1st and 2nd gear, while manual its full time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also I heard this from the guy I bought my car from, don't take this to the bank but he told me to go with the manual because in automatic the turbo is limited to 1st and 2nd gear, while manual its full time.

I'm pretty sure that's hogwash.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts