SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what horsepower is it necessary to upgrade the injectors? Also a bonus questions what kind of ignition control do 900's have? Is it a VR, a Hall sensor, or an optical sensor?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Squall333 said:
At what horsepower is it necessary to upgrade the injectors? Also a bonus questions what kind of ignition control do 900's have? Is it a VR, a Hall sensor, or an optical sensor?
For the first question, you will upgrade the injectors when you get a tune for your ECU. Since every car varies I don't believe there is any set horsepower. You just get bigger ones when your corresponding software calls for it.

For the second question, I don't know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is actually false you can calculate how much fuel youre going to need to make a certain amount of horsepower by knowing the size of the engine and amount of cylinders. You can use this http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx i was only asking because i want to know how you guys do it and what sizes are available

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
no its not really false...you step up the injectors at the stage the tuner you use says you need to. its usually to go over 300ish hp. but its also when you upgrade the turbo normally.

·
Registered
949 Posts
In most cases, stock injectors are good to around 310HP crank.

There are still some caveats to that since they are running very high duty cycle numbers at that level but, in general, they run out of capacity in that neighborhood.

D-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyones talking about bosch green giants but i dont plan on going over 300 hp. Trying to keep my MPG's in a reasonable zone.

·
Registered
412 Posts
youll still stay in the high mpg range as long as ur foot doesnt hit the floor all the time...stay OUT of boost....30mpg....stay IN boost..watch the gas gauge fall right before your eyes...lol

·
Registered
707 Posts
saabkid37 said:
i had greens and got 22 around town and 34 highway.
what other stuff did you have to need the greens in your car? you think a nordic stage 3+, or 4 tune could make use of them? i'm getting mixed answers about this topic.

·
Registered
956 Posts
normally injectors dont get into the mix of mods until stage5ish range. like said before 300ish hp is around the time of injector upgrade. i am stage 5 and using 50 lb hr injectors. and last i measured i was getting around 28-30mpg mixed driving. follow your tuners recommendations on injectors and dont add injectors until you have the correct software mated for those specific injectors.

---this has all basically been said above by previous posters, im just re-emphasizing the importance and giving some of my info to enlighten the fact that adding injectors will not kill your mpg

·
Registered
707 Posts
right on. thanks.... so stage 5 calls for 50lb/hr. interesting. i might have to get a custom tune so that the pulse width and duty cycle are right, but from the perspective you just gave me of stg5 and 50lb, i might be able to get stg3+/stg4 to work with the 42lb greens. thanks again...

·
Registered
956 Posts
SaabLV93 said:
right on. thanks.... so stage 5 calls for 50lb/hr. interesting. i might have to get a custom tune so that the pulse width and duty cycle are right, but from the perspective you just gave me of stg5 and 50lb, i might be able to get stg3+/stg4 to work with the 42lb greens. thanks again...
yes its possible (at least i would think so) to use the 42lb greens with a stage 3+ or 4 just make sure to tell your tuner whomever that may be that you are utilizing the 42 lb greens so they can have the correct fuel map and what nots for the injectors. if it were me, i would add the injectors and software at same time. i wouldnt put injectors in now and wait for the ecu. for me they would go hand in hand.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Squall333 said:
Everyones talking about bosch green giants but i dont plan on going over 300 hp. Trying to keep my MPG's in a reasonable zone.
1. That's actually false. :lol: Plenty of members here run 300+ hp and still make great gas mileage, both highway and city.

2. There is no exact hp set in stone for Saab's (They vary!) when you must upgrade... your tuner will determine this, when you move from stage to stage (as you will need new fuel ressure regulator as well). You asked at what horsepower will you need bigger injectors... I told you when you get a tune at a higher stage you will need new injectors. I don't understand why you think that is false. :roll:

·
Registered
129 Posts
SaabLV93 said:
But again, what is the point.
The stock injectors are good for power levels past of were your power goals are.
By this time your stock GT17 or TD04 turbo will run out of air before you run out of fuel. Once you have upgraded to a larger turbo then you can worry about running lean.

I run 50lbs injectors. I make better gas mileage than when the car was stock. Simply, the engine runs more efficiently, it breaths better. 24-26 city, 34-37hwy. I can burn more fuel if I tried.

Like Drew was saying, this is the beauty of turbo charging, you dont have to build much boost to drive normally/legaly with traffic. But, the boost is there when you want it.

Call a tuner and discuss your needs.

good luck Mark M.

·
Registered
707 Posts
i kinda want to have them already in place if i decide later to go for a GTBB later down the road. i just hate to see them sitting in a box since i got such a great deal on them. i knew ahead of time, my car wasn't ready for those, but it was a deal of a lifetime. i just checked elk parts and they're listed for like 700 bucks. got em for 150 NIB. even ebay doesn't have them that cheap. so yeah...that's why. i know in due time a nice gt3071 or something will pop up as a steal, and i was just getting ready for it. right now, with the 3+, the td04, and all other hardware i already have in, i was just looking for a way to make it work. i know it seemed a little nonsensical at first...but there was a method to my madness. :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
$150 is a good price. i dont know about $700? ive seen them from $200-$300 NIB shipped.
I do feel like you will spend more time and money trying to make them work before you need them.
When the time is right, it will only take you one ore two hours to install.

You are right though. They sure do look pretty in the box:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
SaabLV93 said:
i kinda want to have them already in place if i decide later to go for a GTBB later down the road. i just hate to see them sitting in a box since i got such a great deal on them. i knew ahead of time, my car wasn't ready for those, but it was a deal of a lifetime. i just checked and they're listed for like 700 bucks. got em for 150 NIB. even ebay doesn't have them that cheap. so yeah...that's why. i know in due time a nice gt3071 or something will pop up as a steal, and i was just getting ready for it. right now, with the 3+, the td04, and all other hardware i already have in, i was just looking for a way to make it work. i know it seemed a little nonsensical at first...but there was a method to my madness. :cool:
i had a tdo4 18t at the time i ran them.

but you do know that if you go above an 18t turbo you need the black deka 50#'s or 60# right? most people dont even bother with the greens on an 18t because they were so close to the edge...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey SaabLV93, a big stage 5 tune isnt a bad place to be. gt28 or Tdo4 18t#6, would leave you with a real nice daily driver. your car's parts start becoming expendable after this point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
slspf2 said:
1. That's actually false. :lol: Plenty of members here run 300+ hp and still make great gas mileage, both highway and city.

2. There is no exact hp set in stone for Saab's (They vary!) when you must upgrade... your tuner will determine this, when you move from stage to stage (as you will need new fuel ressure regulator as well). You asked at what horsepower will you need bigger injectors... I told you when you get a tune at a higher stage you will need new injectors. I don't understand why you think that is false. :roll:
I only said it was false because you said every car varies. That is true only because different cars have different fuel pressures and amounts of cylinders but there is a required amount of fuel to make a certain amount of horsepower

1 - 19 of 19 Posts