SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
My stock amplifier seems to have broken (2003 9-3 Linear 7 speaker system). The local saab dealer says a new amplifier is around $1200. Is there any reason why this is so expensive? I think he said that this unit also controls something with the key/theft deterrant device. Can anyone confirm this?

On a side note, does anyone know a place that repairs these amplifiers? The so called "peace of mind" warranty that I got with the car says it will cover a repair of the amp but not a replacement :x . However, nobody seems to know if its even possible or cost effective to do a repair.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late post,

Yes, I did find one. A new one. After pleading my case to my warranty company they decided that they would cover it for free. Good news for me! I think it was just over $1200 for the amp itself.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The only real complaint I have with Saab is they flat out rip you off when it comes to the audio components

cheap Pioneer components at what seems to be 5,000% mark up.

$1200 for amp1? Thats insane. I mean, really.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yea it is pretty crazy...ive been emailing/calling around and i've been able to find new ones for around $425 and used ones for $200, havent found any on ebay yet like most ppl have.

what I'm wondering is, can I use any amp in place of amp1? or would I need to re-wire, change speakers, change stereo etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems like it would be a frickin mess to use a non-stock amp. Like i said....the dealership told me that the stock amp also controls the theft deterrant features so you would still need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The same thing happened with my amp, it just blew out one day. The reason it is so expensive is because pioneer made custom amps for saab and they use the same fiberoptics (part of the theft deterent) that the head unit does. If you remove the head unit from the fiberoptics, the car will no longer start. I dont think this applies to the amp though. I ended up getting a custom install with nav system, amp, sub, etc. It was expensive but it blows the stock system out of the water.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
What I think the dealer means is the alarm uses the fiber optic bus (O-bus).
If you delete the amp you would need to install a fiber optic loopback device to maintain continuity in the fiber. No big deal. These are a few bucks and are available through Etadyne. I used one to delete my OnStar box.

There are no other amps you can use as direct replacement for the Saab amps.

dbar111 said:
the dealership told me that the stock amp also controls the theft deterrant features
This is not true. Although technically it depends on what they are calling an "amp." I believe the ICM is involved with the alarm. The EHU generates all sounds inside the car. There is an amp in the EHU. But the alarm uses the horn, not the speaker system. So I think the dealer is way off here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi!

Can you tell me where you was able to find one ? I'm in Montreal and the one in my saab just broke. I have done a couple call but no luck.

Thanks a lot!

JugGerNaut said:
yea it is pretty crazy...ive been emailing/calling around and i've been able to find new ones for around $425 and used ones for $200, havent found any on ebay yet like most ppl have.

what I'm wondering is, can I use any amp in place of amp1? or would I need to re-wire, change speakers, change stereo etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stock Amp Heads Up

I have a 2003 9-3 Sports Saloon. I recently replaced my amp., with one I bought from Wasyl Zadorozny at saabradio.com. My saab dealer says that these amps are a problem they see often. They say because of the location they tend to get wet somehow. So shortly after having my new amp installed, I started watching for this problem closely, and they were right. Here is what was happing in my case. Every time I would wash my car at an automatic carwash, water would either run or spray under the door and onto my amp. The amount would vary, depending on if I had the cabin fan on. If the fan=on high pressure in the cabin=no or little water on the amp. Anyway, I started putting a towel between the door and seat to keep water out, well yesterday I forgot and another amp bites the dust.

Hope this helps someone.

By the way Wasyl will repair your amp for I think $180.00

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I wonder if spraying the circuit boards in the amp with one of the products designed for waterproofing circuit boards would help.

There are several products intended for radio control cars and such, I don't see why they wouldn't protect the amp just as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ive never heard of that spray stuff before...im gonna look for that.
i bought an amp from Wasyl, just came in today. My plan was to buy a cheap container with a lid big enough for the amp and cut out where the wire comes out and some holes in the lid for air. But that didnt work cause theres not enough room under there and the freakin wire is so short. The floor in my car is just soaked, sometimes theres puddles of water so ive got to find some solution. What Wasyl suggested was to buy a cheap rechargable muffin fan from walmart and stick in under the seat every night if the floor is wet. For now i just have the rubber floor mat under it. If anyone comes up with a better solution let me know!

Oh and now that ive got it hooked up, all the speakers are working like normal again except for the passenger door speaker. Anyone know whats wrong there? If the amp wasnt plugged in completely would it not give power to that speaker or something?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts