SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I would like to know what the rule of thumb is for the stock 2.3l turbo for horsepower level. i understand there are other factors for making more power. but all variables aside how much could stock internals take with some sort of regular abuse.???;oops:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
royale192 said:
Hey I would like to know what the rule of thumb is for the stock 2.3l turbo for horsepower level. i understand there are other factors for making more power. but all variables aside how much could stock internals take with some sort of regular abuse.???;oops:
If by stock internals you mean the block and head only I think 400hp is possible.

Without changing turbos and injectors I think 275 is a more reasonable goal for your engine. You will like it very much with that sort of power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea stock heacd and block

yea i was meaning stock rods pistons and no internal work. or course i can tell that the stock turbo would be no up to the task of handling 325-340 hp at the crank. I am looking into upgrading the turbo with a garrett ball bearing turbo i hope to get a gt30r better intorcooler and bigger injectors

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it should be fun

i have to have full boost on that turbo at about 3.2k or alittle higher. its a metal caged dual ball bearing with internal wastegate. i also said it was a gt30. its actually a gt32r with a .68 a/r turbine. this car with better fuel and intercooler should easily put out 300 plus to the wheels. my only concern would be the trans and the clutch. i have already started looking into replaceing the mounts with poly. and the hydro mount with a better replacement. does anyone have any ides.????

·
Registered
593 Posts
400 + is fine for the stock internals
the b234r engine is very well built..

gt30 will give you 550 hp in theory
but
you will have to save up for the many gearbox re-builds that you will need
do not expect to get more than 10 k between rebuild if you are running 400+ horspower (I Know...)
up to 320 you might be able to get a way with it but you will break something eventually

good luck....

·
Banned
637 Posts
Really easy to say.. Lotsa time and $$$ in real life though... and youv'e got an LPT??
The jury is still out on longevity of Ball Bearinged turbos.. I've heard of Ceramic balled turbos dying after a dozen hours, and those are an entire magnitude more sophisticated.
Sometimes 'new and improved' Ain't.
Ylee was right about the trans.. besides.. have you driven a 9000? Hard? shifting speed /quality is right in there with a Mack Hiway rig... we need several hundred HP, cuz by the time you grab the next gear the race is over:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thabks for the insite. I am not new to the car scene. just new to saabs. and even at stock hp i have a grind shifting to second. i was asking if anyone has seen or has links to better sycro's. I have seen a site that can reinforce the actual gears for added strength with great success. I ask alot of questions, and try to do my homework before i jump into a project. Most important i like to get the bad news first not when i breaksomething that could be avioded. I am a Technician be trade and have seen my fair share of broken parts. rods threw the block, headgaskets blowing out. I have had my fair share of bad luck and good. But as I said I take everyone's point of veiws seriously. You can never be to careful. i just like to know what i can and can't do before i get my plans on the move. 400 whp. probably will happen if the car is built right and yes as you said money can be a major factor. I have heard of people taking extra trans to race with. spare blocks and heads just incase. but i am not all for that . i will not be drag racing my saab. just want a 4dr family mover than can run somewhere in the high 12 or more than likely in the low 13's

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well that is a quater time i would like BUT IT WILL NOT BE A Drag car i just want the performence of it. not for racing just want something quick to put some of the newer cars to look twice. For what i understand the standard trans is a weak link to the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts