SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, made a catch and it seemed to help with oil getting burnt as it seemed to be getting worse before the catch can was added. But, like before when in 3rd or 4th, if I'm say cruising in 3rd at 35-40 MPH, and letting it decelerate in gear, then accelerate, then back to decelerating, I get a fairly noticeable cloud of smoke for a few seconds then it clears. It'll do it in 3rd and 4th only as described above (never had it do it in 5th and doesn't seem to do it in 2nd). If keeping a steady speed in 3rd, 4th, or any gear for that matter, it's fine and doesn't smoke. Only during that narrow window of slowing down in a gear then cruising then slowing down again will it consistently recur. No oil getting past the catch can either. What could it be? Still running the 5w30 as the oil is still fresh, but I'd have to think it'd be smoking all the time if the oil was the culprit, but maybe I'm mistaken. So long as I don't hold 3rd or 4th while slowing down a lot like in stop and go traffic it's not an issue. But if something more serious IS failing, I'd like to figure it out before it's a catastrophic failure. I can't be the only person who's had this happen.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think you have a turbo on it's way out. Check for "in/out" play, sounds like the shaft shifts and you lose oil past the ring on the turbine shaft

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you have a turbo on it's way out. Check for "in/out" play, sounds like the shaft shifts and you lose oil past the ring on the turbine shaft
Had all that exposed about 2 months ago and it had virtually no in/out play. Or looking down at the turbo, reaching in on both impellers, there was no play from left to right. But there was play up/down, but it stayed centered. Actually thought it was the turbo originally, but wondering if oil in the PCV system happened to be coincidentally acting up at the same time. Been getting a howling under vacuum (between 5 and 15 on the gauge) lately like a police siren and I'm wondering if it's another indication of turbo failure?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Its very difficult to check for play when the turbo is installed. However, you did find some and there should be none.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've another car, a Honda Civic with 225K, that only burns oil visibly (e.g.: smoke out the tailpipe) after extended downhill engine braking, and only briefly right when you get back on the gas. Apparently, this is a classic symptom for worn valve guides/seals.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've another car, a Honda Civic with 225K, that only burns oil visibly (e.g.: smoke out the tailpipe) after extended downhill engine braking, and only briefly right when you get back on the gas. Apparently, this is a classic symptom for worn valve guides/seals.
I was actually considering that as a possibility but didn't want to think much about it. Guess I'll start with the turbo when it's feasible then work up to a low mileage head swap. Will be a good excuse to swap in a T7 head and put the bigger puffer on the T25's cold side when funds permit ;ol;

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its very difficult to check for play when the turbo is installed. However, you did find some and there should be none.
I had the intake pipe off and the downpipe unbolted. I just reached down and pulled on the shaft. It didn't move in/out, at least nothing noticeable without a dial gauge. But up/down had a slight amount of movement. Can't really complain though as I believe it's the original and 167k miles ;ol;. If the car didn't see high PSI or RPM's it'd probably go 300-400k. Maybe I'll just go ahead and run the 10w40 and see if it helps rather than wait.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
a journal bearing turbo should have up and down play. very very slight, this slop is taken up by oil pressure as this is called a "floating bearing". you could be burning off all the oil residing in your intercooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts