SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have now been to a different dealer,this time an actual approved saab one. The guy tried to program my remote fob in. However he said that he could not make it work, and that this must be because my car does not have the capability for remote locks, he did however manage to program the chip in the new key to work with the immobiliser so i now at least have a spare key.

What I want to know is, how can i find out for definate if my car has/hasn't got remote locking and if not is it possible to fit/replace a saab module to get this capability. Dealer already told me that a replacement security module was £700, so would a module from a scrap car work if i could find one with remotes?
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Your owners manual should say one way or the other...as to what equipment your car has - I would think...

These cars are very complex; are the technicians reading the service bulletins and the WIS before proceeding, or do you think they are guessing...:cheesy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
earthworm said:
Your owners manual should say one way or the other...as to what equipment your car has - I would think...
Wrong. Owner's manual doesn't tell anything about what optional equimpent a specific car has. Manual is same for every model regardless of what optional equimpent the first owner has chosen. For example, there is information about the keyless entry and theft alarm, but the manual doesn't know if your car has them or not, because they are optional equimpment.

rallysteve said:
What I want to know is, how can i find out for definate if my car has/hasn't got remote locking and if not is it possible to fit/replace a saab module to get this capability. Dealer already told me that a replacement security module was £700, so would a module from a scrap car work if i could find one with remotes?
Your trouble is that you cannot have keyless entry by purchasing a remote fob only. Receiver is needed too. Receiver is a separate box which is located between the front seats in the rear section of the centre console, behind the rear ash tray. Checking if it's there or not is a 5 minute job. One torx unscrewing is needed. If you don't have it, receiver is about 100£ and has nothing to do with TWICE (Theft Warning Integrated Central Electronics)-unit. Your dealer fooled you. Of course the programming with Tech2 is still needed after installing the receiver module.

(And this information is valid if your car is what is said in your profile YM 2000 9-3.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I have looked where you have suggested, all that is there is a small connector block in a clip. Presumably for the module you talked about. So i will now get onto my local saab dealership and try and get the module and a new remote.

Thanks for all the advice!
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes that's it. There should be three wires coloured red, black and brown in that connector. Parts numbers for the different receiver modules are 4873964 (EU, 433,92Mhz), 5038229 (Japan, 315MHz short range) and 4873972 (US, AUS 315MHz short range).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks I have now got the reciever on order and i have already got a new key/remote. I will just head into the saab dealer when it arrives to have the car programmed.

Cheers Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts