SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Friday - I searched and read many threads regarding a stiff/difficult turn of the ignition key - at the start position only.

I sprayed copious amounts of brake cleaner in the lock cylinder. Blew in compressed air and vacuumed out what ever contaminants and/or pieces of the worn mech I did repeated application of brake cleaner, and closed with a healthy dose of WD40 with no noticeable relief.

The key shows not signs of wear. The cylinder has some play (when jiggling the key - each position is clear and noticeable, the stiffness appears only at the start position.

My primary question is. Is the stiffness most likely the cylinder - or could it be in the electrical switch or both?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Stiffness

Most likely it is the linkage between the ignition lock amd the start switch. The ignition lock cylinder sits on top of a gear whose teeth mesh with a gear that rotates the electric switch. These can get dirty and stick or bent. You can remove and disassemble the shift housing to clean and lube it. Try to find a parts diagram for the switch as this would show the gears I am talking about.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob - I will tear into it in the morning. It does feel more like a bind then a sloppy cylinder/lock barrel.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
If it's a broken "hairspring", you can just eliminate it, along with the reverse locking lever it acts on, thus buying no parts.
Like locking steering columns, they're only there to meet DOT regulations.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jim - What gear does the shifter need to be in to slip the box off the shaft in order to expose the bottom for access to the gear?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for your advise. I takes a little work to get the box turned over enough to get the screws holding the plastic piece off the bottom. After that it's downhill. The gears and lock out arm were void of grease (that may be by design?). I did give them a light coating of bearing grease. The mechanism is a lot smoother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts