SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All! Long time no see, glad to see so many familiar names here...
Has anyone else had problems with either the key FOB or door trim (elbow rest area) degrading and becoming sticky?
I thought the battery was leaking in one of my key FOBs, dealer replaced it. But now the replacement, as well as the 2nd one, are both deteriorating rapidly (and feel sticky) around the top rubbery part. Batteries intact. Also, the spot on the door sill where I rest my elbow, is feeling sticky and looking worse for wear.
Cheap rubbish!
So, does anyone know of a product and/or common hoisehold sibstance that can be applied to stop the deteriration of plastic, and get rid of the stickiness?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can you post a picture of what you are referring to? If i get you right, it might just be built up dirt/sweat or lotion ( as I have seen many times detailing.) I dont really use much products outside of my work, so I'd have to see, but a upholstery cleaner would work just the same.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
i knwo where your talking about just get a wet rag and rub it down i had to do it twice over the summer. simple green does wonders too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Key Fobs are very prone to this, the rubber starts breaking down, disolving almost and goes all sticky as it comes apart.

Be careful of any fuel on your fingers after you have refilled, fuel can break the rubber down.

Not much you can do about it apart from get a new one from Fleabay and transfer the gubbins from the old to the new.

Not sure I understand the elbow rubber, I thought the elbow area was leather on all models.
the door grab handle however has the same rubber coating the dash buttons has and is prone to peeling.

When mine started peeling I scraped the rest of it off. It gavethe door pull a more "plastic" look but was much better than the peeling off coating look.
Some people have stripped and repainted the trim.

·
Registered
65 Posts
rubber key chmistry

I've written about his previously. The rubber key is polyurethane. It is formulated by mixing part A and part B. After several years the polymer solwly decomposes back to the two original liquid parts. Process is called reversion. Known problem with plastic chemists who work in this field. My original keys lasted 3 or 4 years. First got free replacements under warrentee. Then last year I bought two new keys. Dealer only wanted to sell me one. Saying the deteriorted keys were still useable. If both keys become defective, you are **** out of luck. Today there is a nationwide 3 month back order on buying a replacement. I told him to tell the main SAAB office about this problem; but I think they don't give a ****. Or back then he already knew the keys were in short supply, and didn't want to sell his full inventory to one person. Things are getting bad when the parts & service man talks you out of buying a replacement part which you need. They want to save their last remaining part for another customer.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not much you can do about it apart from get a new one from Fleabay and transfer the gubbins from the old to the new.
Yeah, unfortunately most of the deterioration is in the rubber part of the actual key... Is getting that key cut a hassle?

"Not sure I understand the elbow rubber, I thought the elbow area was leather on all models..."

Hmmm... I am referring to the "sill", or ledge, along the bortom of the window. Definately not leather, now have I ever seen one that is. It seems to be deteriorwting the same was as the key fob rubber -- feels sticky. I wish there were some based compound or substance that could stop the deterioration and neutralise the stickiness.

Thanks fornthe feedback - keep it comin'! And a pleasant weekend to all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i knwo where your talking about just get a wet rag and rub it down i had to do it twice over the summer. simple green does wonders too.
Yes simple green is the S **T

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately most of the deterioration is in the rubber part of the actual key... Is getting that key cut a hassle?
Strip the rubber off the hard key, then dip it in Plasti-Dip two or three times.

"Not sure I understand the elbow rubber, I thought the elbow area was leather on all models..."

Hmmm... I am referring to the "sill", or ledge, along the bortom of the window. Definately not leather, now have I ever seen one that is. It seems to be deteriorwting the same was as the key fob rubber -- feels sticky. I wish there were some based compound or substance that could stop the deterioration and neutralise the stickiness.

Thanks fornthe feedback - keep it comin'! And a pleasant weekend to all.
Again, strip off the rubberized coating, tape and plastic off the interior to mask it and protect against overspray, then use a spray can of Plasti-Dip.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Strip the rubber off the hard key, then dip it in Plasti-Dip two or three times. ... (RE. Window ledge) Again, strip off the rubberized coating, tape and plastic off the interior to mask it and protect against overspray, then use a spray can of Plasti-Dip.
Wow, some of you sure are keen on "plasti-dip"!! I am skeptical -- especially if it peels off easily, sounds temporary -- but will check it out! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Wow, some of you sure are keen on "plasti-dip"!! I am skeptical -- especially if it peels off easily, sounds temporary -- but will check it out! Thanks!
Well if you want something that doesn't peel you could always make flox: fill plus epoxy resin, and add colorant, shape it, let it cure, then sand and polish it. That won't wear away easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts