SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 9000CSE (recently purchased). I noticed the the stick position is noticibly forward of where it is on my 92 9000. For example, gears 2, 4 and Rev are when the stick is perpendicular to the console. If I put the car in 2nd the stick position would be the same as though it were in neutral in the other car.

Is this adjustable? Is it the nature of the 95?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If every gear is easily accesible you don't want to change anything. That's how it is. It is a different matter if it is not.

The gear shift linkage would have been adjusted properly to shift with ease. The procedure involves shifting the transmission in fourth. Insert a pin to lock it. On the shifter side inside the cabin you need to do the same and lock it. Then you tighten the collar bolt on the shift linkage.

Do not mess with it unless you need to search for a particular gear while driving.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Yes.. it IS adjustible.. but the easy/normal way is to do the 4mm drill /rod inserted into the Reverse lockout mechanism gizmo.

BUT if it's current position bothers you, one can move the gearshift knob forward or backwards as desrired..a surprising range actually, with all the gears working as advertised.
Undo the shift coupler (at the Trans area) and just play with the stick position. Sounds daunting but it's actually quite simple to do, once you get the feel of the thing... even though completely ignoring the Reverse Contraption setup method.
If you need further instruction beyond this..perhaps you shouldn't attempt it, as it is possible to make a mess of it :)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Basre said:
Yes.. it IS adjustible.. but the easy/normal way is to do the 4mm drill /rod inserted into the Reverse lockout mechanism gizmo.
Are you snowing me? Where is the lock-out on reverse? The alignment holes for the 9k are inside the cabin right in front of the gear shifter meant to be locked in fourth with a 4mm rod inserted.

That on the transmission side is on top of the transmission covered by a black plastic plug.

Both are meant to be locked in fourth with a pin inserted to tighten the collar on the shift linkage.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone have pics of what they are describing? I would think that you could not adjust it near the tranny as neither the coupler nor the pin where you separate the shifter are adjustable

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hope you can see in the picture. This is the 5 speed transmission on my '95 cse. There are two types of shift linkage. If your car is pre-94. You have the old style. But the connections on the transmission side and on the shift rod side are the same.

On the transmission side, The shift coupler has a larger pipe which slip on to the gear rod on the outside. It is stopped by a tapered pin which go through both the gear rod and the shift cupler. The tapered pin has a nut. There is no adjustment there.

On the shift rod side, there is a collar to be tightened by a bolt. There you have to make the adjustment. And it is done by what I described in my prior post.

The adjustment hole on the transmission, covered by a black plastic plug, is to the right of the transmission name plate.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the new style. Thanks I see where you are talking about. That was a great help!:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Basre said:

BUT if it's current position bothers you, one can move the gearshift knob forward or backwards as desrired..a surprising range actually, with all the gears working as advertised.
Undo the shift coupler (at the Trans area) and just play with the stick position. Sounds daunting but it's actually quite simple to do, once you get the feel of the thing... even though completely ignoring the Reverse Contraption setup method.
If you need further instruction beyond this..perhaps you shouldn't attempt it, as it is possible to make a mess of it :)
Sorry about my previous post. I was jumping a little too quickly. You were also right. But the reverse lock-out applies only to model year '93 (maybe prior also). The alignment holes on model year '94 and up are located in front of the shifter as I described.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts