SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have experience with the SPEC clutches in a 9K?

My stock unit is starting to slip, and I have plans to take my 9K to stage 3 so a uprated clutch makes sense.

The stg 1 has sufficient holding torque, but I'm thinking of going to a stg. 2 just in case... Has anyone installed a stg 2 SPEC clutch? Were you happy with the driveability?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have experience with the SPEC clutches in a 9K?

My stock unit is starting to slip, and I have plans to take my 9K to stage 3 so a uprated clutch makes sense.

The stg 1 has sufficient holding torque, but I'm thinking of going to a stg. 2 just in case... Has anyone installed a stg 2 SPEC clutch? Were you happy with the driveability?

Thanks.
No experience with SPEC clutches. How power are you planning on making? i.e. what does stage 3 mean to you?

The stock clutch can handle quite a lot of torque. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning on making ~300hp perhaps slightly more, with the torque coming in at 340 lb-ft or so.

Basically I'd like to get as much as a can given the existing mods I have on the car - 3" DP + exhaust, uprated fuel pump and perhaps a larger IC.

My clutch right now has 171K on it. I think that's pretty good for the original unit. Overall I've had pretty good luck with this car (knock on wood) - even the original DI lasted to 160K.

You make a good point about the stock unit - if it can handle the torque then it would certainly be a cheaper option.

What is the max torque on the stock clutch fitted to a '95 9K Aero?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I'm planning on making ~300hp perhaps slightly more, with the torque coming in at 340 lb-ft or so.

Basically I'd like to get as much as a can given the existing mods I have on the car - 3" DP + exhaust, uprated fuel pump and perhaps a larger IC.

My clutch right now has 171K on it. I think that's pretty good for the original unit. Overall I've had pretty good luck with this car (knock on wood) - even the original DI lasted to 160K.

You make a good point about the stock unit - if it can handle the torque then it would certainly be a cheaper option.

What is the max torque on the stock clutch fitted to a '95 9K Aero?
I've run your level of power for more than 10yrs with all original clutch parts, but it is essential to clean up the flywheel when installing, don't though let some muppet machine shop grind it down a lots, I've done well with sanding it on the engine taking 20 minutes or so, gives a clean surface.
I've done a fair bit of track time, and plenty of fast driving across hills and the Alps, never going to last 170k miles, 50k is about max if you are using the power.

Building a track 9000 with a bit more power, have a Spec stg2+ for that. Know of many users of these clutches in 9k's, Maptun suggests them as well for bigger power. Spec gives plenty of strength to ease big power in while slipping, saving parts breakage downstream.
People have had a few problems with them, but going with clean flywheel as above should prevent most issues. The very costly upgraded Sachs pressure plate is picky abouut clutch mc, and will sometimes 'hang' at big rpms with chance for disaster in store for the tranny. Fix for this is modifying the mc throw length.

In summary why not just use Sachs OEM parts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've run your level of power for more than 10yrs with all original clutch parts, but it is essential to clean up the flywheel when installing, don't though let some muppet machine shop grind it down a lots, I've done well with sanding it on the engine taking 20 minutes or so, gives a clean surface.
I've done a fair bit of track time, and plenty of fast driving across hills and the Alps, never going to last 170k miles, 50k is about max if you are using the power.

Building a track 9000 with a bit more power, have a Spec stg2+ for that. Know of many users of these clutches in 9k's, Maptun suggests them as well for bigger power. Spec gives plenty of strength to ease big power in while slipping, saving parts breakage downstream.
People have had a few problems with them, but going with clean flywheel as above should prevent most issues. The very costly upgraded Sachs pressure plate is picky abouut clutch mc, and will sometimes 'hang' at big rpms with chance for disaster in store for the tranny. Fix for this is modifying the mc throw length.

In summary why not just use Sachs OEM parts?
You make a good point. Basically I figured if I'm going to do the clutch I might as well go for an up rated unit that can stand up to stage 3 for longer. Let me know if my thinking here is flawed. I've had my 9K for three years now... so I certainly welcome thoughts from those with more experience running these cars harder for longer! :)

It seems reconditioning the FW is critical. When you say sanded it down - I assume you just got rid of any glazed spots/surface patina etc? What sandpaper grit did you use?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Spec Stage 2 Clutch Cover & Saab Aero (Sachs) Disc

I had installed the Spec Stage 2 ( Cover & Disc ) in my 9000 Aero and found it to be way too grippy! I had to alter my clutch engaging to never giving any gas while changing gears or it would "catch" and give quite the jar! I had installed it along with a newly rebuilt Modded 4.05 Tranny by ScanWest Auto ( Robs the man!) w/Abbott LSD when I was heading to the airport when I was shifting quickly into 2nd gear trying to make the light as I was late for my flight! I had given it a wee too much gas when I shifted into 2nd when all the sudden I heard a BOOM! I thought I had blown the tranny, but as I was coasting I was able to steer into a hotel parking lot (better than the middle of the intersection") It turns out the teeth of Spec Stage 2 Clutch disc got stripped by the output shaft of the Tranny which made a rather hideous sound as you can probably imagine! So I installed an OEM Disc combined with the Spec Stage 2 Clutch Cover and have been smiling ever since! Great Combo!!! It has the easy engagement along with the double strength of the Spec Stage 2 Cover! Of coarse I'm conscientious when shifting and don't give it much gas before the gears are engaged, if any, but I can lean on the pedal at will and rocket without experiencing clutch slip with my 1993 9000 Aero Stage 5 JZW tune with T7 BCP Valve with TCS and Turbo rated to 28 psi!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.