SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A loud rhythmic thumping noise occurs when my stereo is on that drowns out the radio.

- I have the factory stereo system in a 2006 saab 93t

-Occurs when the unit is on (i.e. radio or CD), volume of thumping (loud) does not vary if the radio is turned up or down

- It did this once before for like a day, then the stereo was fine for the next six months

- see videos of the issue occurring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWPy5rygCqs&feature=youtu.be

- The sound appears to come from the 6X9 on the passenger rear. I disconnected that speaker and the sound stops. The speaker does not look blown out, so thinking it might be some input issue.

Does anybody know what this problem might be? amp related? Any advice on a cheap fix (other than unplugging the speaker) is much appreciated. Will it get worse (i.e. spread to other speakers)?

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
if it's only on 1 of the 6x9s,i'd say problem with amp2 in the trunk as this only powers the 6x9s.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Could be a slight coil fault with the speaker thats causing random amp output problems....try swapping the wiring to the other speaker to see if the problem moves.
I'd change the speaker before the amp pops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resolved

Thanks everyone for your comments - and the forums in general - very helpful. Here was the issue. Water is coming in my trunk somehow, and fried Amp2. Entire stereo went down, unit would not turn on, no turn signals, etc. Found a used AMP2 for $100 at a junkyard, plugged in, and now back in business - everything works great. Now about that leak . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi. i know this is an old post, but i am hoping you are still a forum member. i recently started having the exact same issue with the radio in my 2006 9-3t. did you eventually find the leak? did all work correctly once you installed AMP2?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts