SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here goes.

I believe I have an AS2 Audio package in my Car. (i may be wrong: I have a tape deck in the dash... two speakers in the dash up front, and two 6x9's in the rear deck)

ANYWAY, my back 6x9's are blown and I'm replacing them with some Boston Acoustics 6x9's. I would also like to add a 10" Boston Acoustics Subwoofer to the stereo. I'm bothered that I have speaker grills in my doors, but no noise coming out of them. I'm assuming that's because it's not a better Audio package.

My question is:

Could I add speakers to the doors (if so, what size are they) and is it possible to add a third party amplifier to power a subwoofer or the speakers? Also, does saab make an in-dash CD player that I would be able to replace my current tape deck with?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
The 900S never came with door speakers and the amp that powers them. That was an SE addition, or an expensive accessory. The doors take 6.5" speakers, and yes, you can add a 3rd party amp to power them, but considering how little space is available in the factory spot (behind the passenger's kick panel), you'd be better off calling some junkyards to see if you can find a factory amp. Saab never made a in-dash CD player for the 900, but at least it's wired up for an inexpensive Clarion C-Bus changer in the hatch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright so I'll be able to put in these 6x9's and an amp and sub with little problem while keeping the factory tape deck?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
The 6"x9" speakers will just drop in, but you may have to mount them from below, and you'll need to chop off the Saab wiring plugs. A subwoofer and amp are easy to install if you're good with electrical work. Take a look at Richard Bevan's Saab Audio FAQ for hooking up an amp to the head unit's pre-outs.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
you'll need to chop off the Saab wiring plugs.
Thats if the wires/plugs are in the doors in the first place. With my 900S no wires were in the doors, had to install my own. I did get my hands on the Saab audio amp and the wire between the head unit and amp at a junkyard for $20. Was a steal considering the orignal price for just the wire between the HU and amp was listed at $80. The amp fried within a few months though, so then I just straight wired the door speakers to the dash speakers. Sound is even better than with the amp.

The clarion 6 CD changer can often be found really cheap on ebay. Here is one going on right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=85807&item=5779218789&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I know the Clarion CDC635 works (I've got that model in my boot) You may want to check whether or not you have the cable that goes from the HU to the trunk first. Cable end should be on the driver's side of the trunk under the carpet (or another way to confirm it's presence is to pull the HU and see if its plugged into the back). Its a round plug, I think 13 pin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts