SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving down I-405 today (rush hour in the carpool lane) to drop off a friend at the airport, the stereo started to gradually fade out until there was no sound at all, not from either the radio or the CD player. It eventually came back on, though very weakly.

This has never happened to me before, but I wonder if recent events have anything to do w/it: Last Friday, as I was playing the radio and putting my top up in the driveway, I drained the factory battery (stupid - I know), though it was apparently corroded and dying by then then anyway. AAA jumpstarted it but said it could also be the alternator, though radio and power functions were restored. So I had my mechanic put in a new battery last week, but should I also worry about the alternator now?

I hope not! I've just had a DI cassette and one O2 sensor replaced recently in response to an ongoing CEL, even after a 35k servicing last year, and I'm still having some stalling-when-idling problems...this has all been documented in other threads, so I'll spare you the rest. But my point is that I just can't handle any other major problems now. So do I dare hope that the stereo fade was just a fluke?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you using an after market amp?

If I play my system at high vol for about an hour or two the amp (Phoenix Gold QD) will over heat and go into protection mode, this sounds exactly like what you described, Fade to nothing then a very low volume. If i turn it of for 10 mins it works fine again and I lower the vol for the rest of my trip :cheesy:

Jules

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's just the same old factory-installed stereo (which, if it fades out again, may force me to upgrade anyway). But I'm wondering if this had anything to do w/the new battery? Or is the alternator (which apparently runs the radio) failing now, too? Murphy's Law seems to be at work here...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
saab9-3LA said:
But I'm wondering if this had anything to do w/the new battery? Or is the alternator (which apparently runs the radio) failing now, too? Murphy's Law seems to be at work here...
Technically, when the engine is running, the alternator is powering everything. Battery pretty much just a reserve source of current for starting car and running power accessories while engine is off. If the alternator was suspect I would expect the engine to fail to operate before the radio was to shut down due to a lack of current to operate the DIC and various engine management devices that draw more than the radio. I would suspect the radio itself if everything else is working appropriately.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply...

At this point, it's a relief to hear that it may only be the stereo then, although after everything else, I'm not really in a position moneywise for a new stereo. But I have to have my music on the LA freeways...time soon to search the forum for sound system recommendations, I suppose (sigh...) One problem at a time...

How's the weather there in MA?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
ha, finally got warm. Spent all of May in an overcast haze with 50 deg temps, but once June arrived it got nice.

So does the stereo work now? or is it still completely faded?

I found a used unit with the CD changer in it locally at a salvage yard for $160.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts