SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering as of late has been pretty awful... It wanders a lot on the highway and is sluggish. When i first got the car around 2 years ago the steering was fairly tight and i was pleased with it. I know genuinesaab.com has a steering rack brace and clamp kit but im pretty sure thats more of an upgrade and not really a solution to poor stock steering. I was wondering if this is something that happens often on our cars and what people have done to remedy this or have any suggestions? Help is greatly appreciated! Oh i have a 2001 9-3SE.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Get the alignment checked - likeley your toe ( the only adjustable part of the geometry) is out -sounds like it's got excessive toe.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
hkayssi said:
check the tie rod ends :)
Word, you can find Moog tie rod ends for $24 or so. You will need some vice grips, a small pipe wrench and a good wrench if yours are pretty old.

Jack up the car and try to wiggle the wheel. The tie rod is the joint at the top of the spindle coming off your steering rack. Your Ball joints, (similar looking things at the bottom) may be bad too. But with those you need to replace the whole lower controll arm.

Either piece should be extremly difficult to wiggle or move.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Should a tie rod end be replaced when replacing the shocks and springs ? I ask cuz I am doing the Koni-kit in the near future. My car handles and steers fine, but while I amunder there?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
ParaMedic_Saab said:
Should a tie rod end be replaced when replacing the shocks and springs ? I ask cuz I am doing the Koni-kit in the near future. My car handles and steers fine, but while I amunder there?
If you're going to do the wheels alignment the change them while you're at it. :cheesy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts