SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a pothole a few weeks ago and now when I get over 65 mph my car starts to shake. Nothing really bad, but just enough to be annoying. So I took it to the local tire place and they did an alignment and rebalanced all the tires for me and told me that a rim was bent. So I ordered a new rim and had them put it on and it didn't change the vibration at all. Besides that they put 2 of my rotational tires on the wrong way :confused:

What could be wrong? Some people think I may have actually broke the tire, but I have no idea which tire it is now since they moved all the tires around. I tried putting my doughnut on and riding with that to see if I could eliminate the shake, but since I need to get to about 65 for it shake, it doesn't seem to be the best idea.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
kazmiekr said:
Besides that they put 2 of my rotational tires on the wrong way :confused:

What could be wrong?
Maybe you got the tires on the wrong direction? :) Ok.

1. Are you sure that the wheels are NOT bent? Did they replaced the correct "bent" wheel? Is there more than on bent wheel?

2. Are the tires pointing in the correct direction?

3. Are the wheels properly balanced?

4. Is the car correctly aligned?

I understand you did all of this, but it seems from your post that you did all of that BEFORE you replaced the bent rim.

There are other things to look for.
1. Check the strut mount.
2. Check the bushings in the control arms.
3. Check the front sway bar links to the control arms.
4. Check the springs.
5. Check the tie end rod and the links.

These are all things you can inspect visually. Since you got a vibration problem, it might just be a little off, and you will not be able to spot it visually. I am hoping that is not the case and something will give itself away obviously. If you are unfamiliar with any of those terms take a look at this site:

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050210.Saab_NG900_Front_Suspension/

Hopefully that will give you a place to start. You will have to me be systematic in your inspection, so no cutting corners.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, those pics are great.

I moved all the tires to be going the right direction now. I called the tire place back and confirmed that I had the right rim swapped out. I may take it to a diff place and have them rebalance and align.

Another piece of information that may be helpful, my suspension is upgraded, its got Koni dampers, eibach springs, and the viggen rescue kit.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Dip's site is amazing! And no, the upgrade does not do anything to aid or hurt the problem in my humble opinion. If the rims are NOT bent and the car is balanced and aligned, something is bent somewhere. That could be VERY hard to spot if it is off only a degree or 2. Considering the alignment can only correct the toe in, this is a big issue, as the only way to correct the problem is to replace parts. Since you did your suspension, you should be familiar with the parts, so perhaps you can spot the problem more easily.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't actually perform the suspension upgrades, the previous owner did and that is a different topic of discussion because my suspension is soooo stiff and clunky it drives me nuts. I am thinking about ditching it and getting a softer setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts