SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 9-3 Aero 2.8T
Background: Can ran great will no steering lock malfunction or any codes other than the cornering lights. One day, P0089 popped up, parked the car for a few weeks waiting on my fuel pump to arrive. When the pump arrived, I went to start the car to pull in into the shop only to find out the battery had crapped out (most likely from the extremely short trips back and forth out of the shop). I disconnected the battery and placed it on a trickle charger. I then began work on the pump replacement and finished in a few hours. I buttoned the tank up and went inside for a few more hours to wait for the battery to finish charging. Came back out, disconnected the battery from the charger and waited about an hour to take a voltage reading, got a steady 12.5V, so I placed the battery back in the car and went to start the car to test my pump functionality.

I placed the key in the ignition and attempted to turn it. It would not turn at all, completely stuck in the lock position. After I removed the key and placed it back in the ignition, the message, "Remove Key, Turn Steering Wheel, Restart" popped up on the SID. I did exactly that when I realized the steering lock hadn't engaged and I could turn the wheel fully both ways. After trying for an hour to turn the wheel in different positions and using a generous amount of strength to try and free up the pins, I gave up.

Can anyone help me with this? I tried leaving the battery disconnected overnight, then touching the cables together, then trying to start it again. I have tried pulling fuses 1 & 2 on the interior fuse box. I have also tried cleaning the ISM and bending the contacts. For now, my daily driver will sit as I borrow cars from family...

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FIXED: After working with my friend Gary @ Moose Proof Automotive, we tracked the fault to a couple things. This turned out to be the perfect storm of Saab malfunctions. First, the ignition switch solenoid was stuck, so we replaced that, applied 12V to it and it wouldn't budge. Second, CIM died, most likely from the low voltage from the super dead battery. New battery and CIM replaced. Third, car still wouldn't start. Tracked it down to Pin 35 on the ECU not supplying ground to the starter relay. For the time being, we just cut the wire leading from the pin to the fuse box and put the fuse box side of the wire directly to ground. As a result of doing this, the starter now runs when you push in the clutch pedal, so we just wired up a toggle switch to the inside and can now open and close the circuit at will. Ignition ON, switch ON, and pressing the clutch in starts the car, then to drive it without running the starter, just flip the switch off. It's not the right fix, but I don't have the money for a new ECU yet. We are doing the right fix soon. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts