SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overnight my Saab (1987) 900i has developed a a squeak when the steering wheel is turned.

Im think the squeak is coming from inside the car, and exists when the engine is both running and not running ... See Video (you may have to turn your volume up a bit) :

http://youtu.be/FzZRKKEWpEU

Has anyone ever experienced such a squeak ??? or know how to get rid of it / repair it ? Is it a sign something is wearing / needs replacing ??

I have never heard this before (I drive the car everyday) and it just developed overnight.

Cheers,
Jon.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Sometimes the bush at the top of the steering column, under the steering wheel can develop a squeak. It's possible to silence it with a squirt of WD40 behind the steering wheel. If you use the extension tube supplied with the can you can get it in the gap behind the wheel without taking anything apart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes the bush at the top of the steering column, under the steering wheel can develop a squeak. It's possible to silence it with a squirt of WD40 behind the steering wheel. If you use the extension tube supplied with the can you can get it in the gap behind the wheel without taking anything apart.
Nice one thanks, I will give that a go !!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
my steering wheel produced some simmilar sounds for months, than few days ago it developed some very loud squeeaking crunching sound. Squirted some wd40 there as peva suggested and it's gone. It needed day or two to cure though, first it was like in the beggining than it turned loud and strong again :roll: and than disapeared, strange. Don't know what exactly is inside the steering wheel tube (some kind os sleeve I suppose), but it seem to be crushed and piece of it is stucked and making sounds...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all thanks a lot for the replies !!! I used the WD40 trick and all is now well !!!
thanks again,
Jon.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi all thanks a lot for the replies !!! I used the WD40 trick and all is now well !!!
thanks again,
Jon.
The steering wheel in my 900i is making a squeaking noise that is very annoying. I've tried squirting WD-40 behind the wheel to stop the noise, but I don't think it's reaching the column bush.

Where exactly should I direct the spray of lubricant?

Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It rained into my vert yesterday and today the steering column has a clicking while turning. I replaced the steering column bushing a few months ago, so it is not that. I will try wd40 and see if that works. Glad I found this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts