SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

How easy is it to remove the steering wheel on a 9000?

Will I need a special tool/puller?

Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
The most difficult part is to remove two torx screws behind the steering wheel. Use sharp bits. It is torqued very tight. You also need to remove the clam shell plastic cover behind the steering wheel. It is straight forward. You just need a 1/2" drive 22 mm socket to remove the steering wheel. Remember to keep the circular tape winding thing at the same orientation when you remove and install or you may destroy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
You only need a small flat blade screw driver to take the SAAB centre badge off and a 22mm socket with extension. Then just wiggle the wheel either side and it'll just pull off nice and easy. Don't put your face too close to it as you pull though, you'll end up caving in your face!! Yup, I've done that a couple of times on previous cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
UK9K said:
You only need a small flat blade screw driver to take the SAAB centre badge off and a 22mm socket with extension. Then just wiggle the wheel either side and it'll just pull off nice and easy. Don't put your face too close to it as you pull though, you'll end up caving in your face!! Yup, I've done that a couple of times on previous cars.
Not with the driver side airbag you don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
oic, ok. So the airbag is removable from the main body of the steering wheel prior to removing the main body then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
UK9K said:
oic, ok. So the airbag is removable from the main body of the steering wheel prior to removing the main body then?
Yes, and it's dead easy - you just need to undo two bolts on the sides of the wheel, pull the airbag module out (carefully) and disconnect the leeds. Note that the bolts are "hidden" under the plastic caps so you need to remove them first. Also, make sure that the battery is disconnected for at least 10-15 minutes before unplugging the airbag.
Anyway, once the module is out, the steering wheel can be easily removed - just undo the central nut and slide it out.

Cheers
Goran
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Just leave the nut on the last couple of turns so that when you pull the wheel and it suddenly breaks free the nut will stop it smacking you in the mouth!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,529 Posts
Lisle 45000 tool with Saab steering wheels

Rebooting this old thread....

Trying to get the steering wheel off in my 9k. No airbags as it's 1990 car.

THe current wheel is a C900 style one and I have a nice Luisi wheel that I got years ago but never fitted. I can't justify $300 for a genuine 9k carlsson one but that might be another idea.

Anyway I have a Lisle 45000 steering wheel puller kit. The biggest of the long bolt pairs seem to go into the threads of the base of the steering wheel ok, but they're too short.

I've tried the wiggle method and the wheel has sat for 2 weeks with penetrating lube soaking into the splines. Doesn't want to come off.

I will try to get longer versions of the bolts once I figure out what thread they are (don't believe they're metric but they might be) and then I can probably use the Lisle tool.

I know there is a genuine Saab steering wheel puller tool but never seen one.

Craig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,113 Posts
Sit so your knees are braced firmly against the bottom of the steering wheel
Apply pressure with your knees so there is strong tension at the bottom
Put your hands together at the top of the wheel and tug very sharply, a good strong tug, sharply as in sudden, not a sustained pull
That works 99% of the time. The other 1%? Apply steady pressure as described above, have your assistant rap sharply on a loosened retaining nut threaded on the shaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,026 Posts
Is the steering column the length adjustable type?

If so, one can usually get the wheel off (without a puller) by releasing the clamp, pushing the wheel all the way down and then slamming it back up to the top. It might be a good idea to leave the steering wheel retaining nut on the shaft by a couple of threads. That way, if it does come flying off, you won't smash yourself in the face.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top