SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one day a while back that at exactly 50 mph my steering wheel starts shaking like nuts. It has since decreased drastically (been about 8 months) but still is visibly evident to this day, although not terrible like once before. It doesn't do it at any other speeds, I have only experienced it at 50.

I would just live with this problem, but i find myself driving 50 mph all over town and it is really becoming annoying...

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Have you had your front wheels rebalanced? A shop with a good balancing machine (people seem to like Hunters) can do wonders for steering wheel shakes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently had the front two tires replaced... but I don't believe the wheels have been rebalanced. Do you know what typically makes something like this happen?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
slspf2 said:
I recently had the front two tires replaced... but I don't believe the wheels have been rebalanced.
Its usually part of the installation package when you put tires on; you can't drive the car away without getting them new tires balanced!?!

A constant vibration or steering wheel shake at highway speeds can also be a sign of worn CV driveshafts. The driveshafts themselves are balanced when manufactured, as are most things that will spin as part of their use. Over time and wear, they loose their balance and have to be replaced.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diosnoche said:
Its usually part of the installation package when you put tires on; you can't drive the car away without getting them new tires balanced!?!

A constant vibration or steering wheel shake at highway speeds can also be a sign of worn CV driveshafts. The driveshafts themselves are balanced when manufactured, as are most things that will spin as part of their use. Over time and wear, they loose their balance and have to be replaced.
He asked me if my wheels had been rebalanced... I didn't know if there was a difference between rebalancing the wheels vs. the tires. I had the tires rebalanced, so in those terms I would assume that the wheels are then as well.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
NG900/9-3 forums of stuffed full of complaints about front end vibration - these cars are ultra sensitive to the slightest wheel imbalance or out of trueness. Take it back to the shop and get it checked - again and again if neccecary. When I had a new set of tyres fitted to mine recently I explained the situation and the fitter spent extra time getting the balance spot on - not to acceptable limits but perfectly balanced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.