SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys - car runs straight, true, flat and serene - but the steering wheel is actually turned about 15 degrees or so to the left!

The car does not "pull" to the right - i.e., take your hands off and she runs in a perfect straight line but the steering wheel is turned to the left as described above.

Do I have a problem other than this looking strange?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Either the trackings been out and adjusted, or the wheel has come off at some point and not been replaced straight. Its not a problem if the car runs straight and it doesn't bother you. Me, i'd have the wheel off and put it straight, but i'm anal about the wheel being centered. ;oops: :cheesy:

X

·
0 Posts
Has the car always been like this? Are you getting any particular tyre wear?

Think I would be tempted just to whip the nut off and move it around a little. Take you all of ..........5 mins :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Finn said:

Think I would be tempted just to whip the nut off and move it around a little. Take you all of ..........5 mins :cheesy:
I dont think you can do that, its not a multi spline thing is it? I thought there was one location for the wheel, certainly when i changed steering wheels I never had to realign it :confused:

A decent retracking will lock the wheel dead centre and adjust the rest of the car around it :confused:

If you do try this dont forget to disconnect the battery for a while cos of the airbag :eek:

X

·
0 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
I dont think you can do that, its not a multi spline thing is it? I thought there was one location for the wheel, certainly when i changed steering wheels I never had to realign it :confused:
Chris you are correct, you can only put the wheel in one position ;oops: Guess its off to the tracking shop then :confused: Interestingly I had mine done yesterday, the car was running fine didnt pull one way or the other. It just didnt feel right on the corners. My passanger side was toeing out 3.5 (or was it in!) Still it was along way out.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Ok, now i am confused. Haynes says put paint on wheel and column when removing to ensure correct refitting on the splines. :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The saab electronic guide ;) mentions the "locating groove in the steering wheel mounting" :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
For the cost of realignment, I would suggest you have the problem checked out at the garage.

I had 2 new front boots fitted and the same happened to me, off **** about 10 deg to the right, so headed straight, well wonky:lol: , back to the fitting shop.

Same old response, doh, your tracking is out! Bed the new tyres in for 200 miles and come back and we'll check it! Sure I said, then the tyres will have uneven wear.
Anyway, they did it there and then but did 3 attempts to get the steering wheel straight. All OK now.

Best to source the problem first before removing the s/wheel.

Phil.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I can take a good guess at whats happened here...

The car had previously had its tracking adjusted....

The chap who did it just adjusted the tracking from one side and not the two...

Thus causing the wheel to sit to one side when going straight.... if the smart **** who did the tracking adjusted half and half each side then the wheel would be grand :).

I know because I had a similiar genius that did the tracking on my car, and now the wheel is lobsided.....

Michael

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me, i'd have the wheel off and put it straight, but i'm anal about the wheel being centered. ;oops: :cheesy:
So am I Kerm, that's why I want it taken care of.
Chris you are correct, you can only put the wheel in one position
That's what I was told when I called a shop this morning...
No and no Finn, but just had new rims and tires and rotors put on less than 200 miles ago.
For the cost of realignment, I would suggest you have the problem checked out at the garage.
And that is exactly what I'm going to do - thanks all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts