SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The sterring wheel moves up and down and all around. It seems to have about 1/2 inch or more of movement. (Up/Down/left/right)

I took off the bottom cover and removed the blinker & wiper assembly (One piece) and I see a plastic ring around the steering column. I can see the upper shaft moving as weel as the plastic ring. There is screw at the bottom of the steering column that the plastic ring is attached to, and when I move the steering wheel up and down I can see the plastic moving (up and down a withnin the braket that looks square) within that screw/bracket at bottom of column. I really do not know what holds the steering wheel at the upper end
so any suggestions would be great.

Also, I see a orange & red wire that looks as if it is the connection going into the steering wheel and I am wondering if that is the SRS attachment. I may need to pull the wheel which means removing the air bag, but the bentley doesn't show you how to do it. It refers you to a saab mechnaic instead.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Not sure what that plastic bit is, but to disable your airbag just unhook the battery for 20 minutes - that runs down the "reserve" battery for the bag. Do 30 minutes if the idea of a bag of gas exploding in your face gives you the heebiejeebies :lol:

·
Registered
310 Posts
the play you describe could potentially be the steering column mounting bolts. sounds just like the column i pulled in order to fit the a 4 spoke non airbag wheel into my '92. that played up and down and all around but the bearing was fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheRedBaron said:
Not sure what that plastic bit is, but to disable your airbag just unhook the battery for 20 minutes - that runs down the "reserve" battery for the bag. Do 30 minutes if the idea of a bag of gas exploding in your face gives you the heebiejeebies :lol:
OK, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. I do get the heebiegeebies! :D

But how does the center cover/airbag come off the steering wheel?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
speed32219 said:
OK, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. I do get the heebiegeebies! :D

But how does the center cover/airbag come off the steering wheel?
I think there's a few screws that hold it on, then it just comes right off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The airbag comes loose when you loosen two small bolts--one is recessed into each side of the steering wheel--you get to them from the backside of the wheel with the appropriate torx bit. When loose, the air bag comes loose. There will be an electrical connect with a white plastic socket in the middle of the bag that pulls straight out. the other wire under there is for the blinker control, I think.

I pulled two of them from my cadaver cars last week.

I'd leave the battery unhooked for an HOUR!!:cheesy: Cadavers come with no batteries!!

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts