SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This started a couple of days ago. I feel a funny vibration and a humming kinda noise in the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and I turn very little either to the left or right. This is not as apparent when I make full rotations or when the car is moving. I have not experienced this in the past. I googled for this problem but can't seem to match it with any of the search results. Mine is a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible and has done about 33k miles.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nimish

·
Registered
248 Posts
guess on my part

but how are the belts...I had a VW that the power stering was connected to the alternator when the belt had some wear it did what you are saying just a guess

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have not checked the belts. You mean power steering belts right? I will check that.

Thanks,
Nimish

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There are no power steering belts, that I know of; the pump is driven directly by the end of the exhaust valves camshaft.. Something is going on with the steering rack...my guess.:confused:
And the VW uses and electrically assisted power steering.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Just an update ... I took it to a local "Saa Expert" and he took a look and said that there is something going on in the rack which was also "drinking" up the power steering oil. The sound was due to the oil. He topped up the oil and I can already feel the difference. I will be taking it to the Saab service center tomorrow and get the rack checked/changed. Luckily, I still have warranty.

Nimish

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final Update

The SAAB dealer/mechanic took a good look and said there was nothing wrong with the rack. Looks like the only problem was the power steering fluid. Thank you guys for your help.

Nimish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts