SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! My father has given me a beautiful 97 9000 CSE (turbo) that he no longer needed (it was his "commute" car, and he's now working from home; he has a 91 900 convertible as well, so he didn't need the spare). The car is simply outstanding, with one minor problem: I'm a little disappointed in the positioning of the steering wheel. I like the wheel to be pretty near to my body (which'll probably cause me airbag-related grief if I ever get into a wreck), and the 9000 wheel, even at full extension, isn't even CLOSE to what I'd like. I'm fairly tall, but not THAT tall (6'2"), and I've got the wheel out the whole way, and the seat pushed as far forward as I can stand. I think the problem is actually a short footwell as much as a short steering column; I actually have to lean forward, just a little bit, to get the beast into 5th, and I don't have short arms. (I'm mostly limbs; I kinda look like a fat daddy-long-legs with half the legs torn off.) My knees brush the bottom of the wheel, and I have to angle my left leg outwards to let out the clutch. It's not...uncomfortable, completely, just disconcerting.

My question is, has anybody fiddled with their steering wheel to bring it closer to them? It seems to be a general Saab issue, at least before they sold to GM (my dad's owned a number of Saabs, and I've driven them all, but he gets them from a trusted used dealer and just hasn't bought one newer than the 98 model year). I'm so thrilled with every other aspect of the car that I'm really hoping that somebody makes a fairly simple modification that'll make it the ultimate daily driver/back roads maniac/track racer car.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I think the easiest way to bring the steering wheel closer to you is to get an after market wheel boss, change the wheel to a non airbag, and get someone to extend the arms of the boss to your liking.

I just got a MOMO wheel boss to fit my wood wheel onto, and it has 4 arms on it made of alloy I think.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts