SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Saab owner here! With some (great) difficulty, I've just finished installing an Android head unit, new amp and speakers in my partner's 9-3 convertible. I'm hoping to get the existing steering wheel controls working with the new head unit, but given how tightly-integrated the EHU, ICM and SID systems are, I'm hesitant to start taking things apart without knowing more about it all works. I've read that the steering wheel controls use the same wire as the horn, and that intercepting any wires from the steering wheel stops the horn (and maybe the airbag?) working properly.

The way my stereo is set up, the EHU and ICM boards are all still intact and connected; I've just gutted the front panel of the ICM1 in order to fit the new display. The new amp and speakers are wired in parallel with the existing dash speakers, which are still connected to the EHU (so that the indicators and warning chimes still work). One of my concerns with this setup is that accidentally pressing any of the steering wheel controls will start up the now-defunct radio/CD player (which, again, is still connected and wired to the dash speakers), which I won't be able to switch off because I've gutted the control panel... so even just disconnecting/disabling the existing steering wheel controls would be better than nothing.

Can anyone shed any light on how the steering wheel controls talk to the OEM stereo/SID/EHU in these cars? Are there any wires I can cut or tap into, either in the steering wheel or in one of the control boxes? Does simply disconnecting the steering wheel controls cause anything else in the car's brain to go haywire? Any/all help appreciated!!

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Steering wheel controls are connected direct to CIM. CIM sends those signals to ICM/SID/radio etc via BUS. So there is NO wires to splice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Does simply disconnecting the steering wheel controls cause anything else in the car's brain to go haywire? Any/all help appreciated!!
There are two wires going to the steering wheel - they carry the signal from the steering wheel controls and also the horn. You can unplug the steering wheel controls at the wheel itself, but if you just cut those two wires between the SID and the steering wheel.... you will have no horn.

Obviously us Saab drivers are refined chaps who rarely hoot at other motorists but the option is nice.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Freelance car audio/camera installer quoted me $310 just to remove the original head unit and install an android one together with a backup camera...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts