SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting, i cant find a post close enough to this.

I have a steering shake over 65-80 mph that does not always happen, I have had this problem for months, i have had 3 different balances done to my tires, an alignment, and have checked brake wear. I have not found a way to make it happen, it seems to just happen at a random time. Sometimes it gets a little shaky under acceleration. Nothing but the steering wheel shakes, sitting in the passenger seat you don't notice any shaking. Its not a very bad shake but its enough to be annoying when driving more than half an hour with it coming and going.

9-3 2.0t Combi 2008

·
Registered
283 Posts
If youve already checked the balance of wheel, tyres, suspension.
Left field.. maybe brake rotors warped?
This can cause vibration at speed, even when not braking.

If your looking at the suspension it can be any number of things, most common I have noted on here seems to be tierod ends. However I would think the guys doing your allignment should note if there was a problem with these.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Im guessing it could be certain roads.
or it could be driveshafts, I've seen similar complaints on this forum point towards that.

their solution was to find some good used ones, but they werent that super fun to get out the first time, at least for me when I did an axle seal job. the right one was ok, the left not so much..

here's another thought:
hopefully you have decent tires (name brand-no cheapos), and they have a good wear pattern (no cupping or otherwise strange wear), rotated on schedule, inflated properly using the spec in the manual. the prior suggestion about a bent rim was also a good idea, a decent tire shop will find this with their equipment - unfortunately the guys who do the tire changes are sometimes the least skilled, so try to find a place with real mechanics instead of costco

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Im guessing it could be certain roads.
or it could be driveshafts, I've seen similar complaints on this forum point towards that.

their solution was to find some good used ones, but they werent that super fun to get out the first time, at least for me when I did an axle seal job. the right one was ok, the left not so much..
Was there a leak from the axle seal?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did it stop leaking after you replaced the axle seals?
Yes, it wasnt the most fun of jobs but I stopped the leaking successfully. I tried to find slop in the cv joints but I couldnt find any.

You might want to order an extra seal- one was killed in the process by an errant hammer smack during the repair and I had to wait for another delivery.
I think I used a pvc pipe so I could tap the seal into place from the side of the car (it was on jackstands). I think I put the correct seal driver inside of the pvc pipe because I couldnt hammer the passenger side seal in from underneath.

Original poster: maybe check out that intermediate shaft bearing, on the passenger side by the water pump? Mine was noisy, I replaced it with a good used part- you could start with a visual insp before taking anything apart

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found out my front right spring is busted, I dont have the guts to do a spring so a shop near me is replacing the springs for me. Wont know if it fixes it until monday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts