SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have this 2007 93 2.0T with 120k miles on it I was doing some reading and someone mentioned in the comments of something about timing chain slap. I was wondering if a clunking noise that my car makes would be just that or is it normal? This is my only b207 saab so I can't cross reference it with anything else. Also in the beginning of the video the power steering makes a sucking noise for maybe 30 seconds, I only got a little of it. And then it'll go away. Let me know what everyone thinks please.

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
Sucking noise i think you'll find is the vac pump for the brakes..

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Your video shows bad steering pump seal and engine oil came out, residues in tank.

You need to change seal, replace all steering fluid to CHF11S or CHF202.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your video shows bad steering pump seal and engine oil came out, residues in tank.

You need to change seal, replace all steering fluid to CHF11S or CHF202.
Do you think it will fix that slapping noise thing it's almost like quite tapping. Also how much fluid?

·
Registered
'08 stick kombi B207R
58 Posts
From my reading last night it said they started using the 202 because the 11s made noise in the cold. Something about it not being thick enough. Also, are you running 0w40 in your engine?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From my reading last night it said they started using the 202 because the 11s made noise in the cold. Something about it not being thick enough. Also, are you running 0w40 in your engine?
I have 5w 40 right now in it and have maybe like 2-3k miles left on the oil. Also would the noise I have he that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
1 liter is enough for the whole system?
I don’t know the capacity of the entire system. My intention is to empty and refill the reservoir as many times I can with the liter of new fluid I purchased.
I’m assuming I’ll get 3-4 drain & refills.

·
Registered
'08 stick kombi B207R
58 Posts
It should be just under a liter capacity and if dry dry like brand new rebuilding the car dry 1.1-1.3 so I think you'll be good with one can. When I got my car the reservoir was empty according to the dipstick. I didn't hear any noises so I hoped everything was okay. I googled what kind of fluid goes in there so I wouldn't mess it up over something simple. Bought 202 at a local advance where I was and started pouring it in. It took a lot and I stopped. Checked the dipstick and it showed half full. I left it alone to see if any would be missing later. Nothing was missing so far so perhaps I caught it in time? I then poured more in to top it off. I read online that the 202 was better for winter. The 11s supposedly can make noise since it's a thin full synthetic vs. a semi-synthetic. So 11s for summer and 202 for winter. They do say they are cross compatible so you could do that if you wanted too. Don't forget ngk laser platinum spark plugs, m1 0w40 is spec'd for the engine oil. I tried 5w30 and 10w30 and when cold the chain makes a racket if you try to drive on it until it gets warm. I'm about to try 0w40 and see if that does any different.

·
Registered
'08 stick kombi B207R
58 Posts
Says there it's 11s spec'd so at $16 a L is not bad for someone needing a cheaper alternative. I found pentosin chf 202 for $17.98 on amazon. I also found this prestone that is green but it isn't cheap but if you were in a pinch...https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-European-Veh-Power-Steering-Fl-12-fl-oz-Synthetic-2X-anti-wear-100k-Mi/43155500

·
Registered
'08 stick kombi B207R
58 Posts
Nope 6 speed
Okay so the reason I asked is because there's a TSB for the flywheel(damn dual mass) making a racket, mine does that and when you push the clutch in, silence. Doesn't always do it.. but it does it, if you clutch in and out sometimes it goes away. As long as I know what the noise is, it doesn't bother me. I'd prefer a solid flywheel and sprung disc. Still love it with the short gear ratios and T.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay so the reason I asked is because there's a TSB for the flywheel(damn dual mass) making a racket, mine does that and when you push the clutch in, silence. Doesn't always do it.. but it does it, if you clutch in and out sometimes it goes away. As long as I know what the noise is, it doesn't bother me. I'd prefer a solid flywheel and sprung disc. Still love it with the short gear ratios and T.
So that could be the noise I'm hearing?

·
Registered
'08 stick kombi B207R
58 Posts
The flywheel is in the location between the engine and on the left and the trans on the right if you're standing in front of the car. So it would be in the middle there where you were pointing the camera. I thought my timing was making a racket but noticed when I clutched in the noise went silent. So I know it's that TechnicalServiceBulletin noise. Now that I've had the car two months and it got super duper cold out, like 5 degrees, 16 degrees etc. I can hear the timing make noise when the engine is super cold. If I drive off when super cold it will make noise, and the more load I put, the more noise. If I remember correctly I read some horror stuff about some balance shaft and timing guides. My crazy self bought the car after that even after reading about the soft valve issue. I have a blend of 10w30 and 5w30 right now and so I'm excited to put 0w40 in it and see if that helps. It should but when it's cold not much you can do past that. Unless you install a oil pan heater. They have cheap ones online you can stick to the oil pan. Or oem that goes into the drain plug. There's also a oem coolant heater. I was wondering if installing one would help the valve situation. Also the trans has two shafts or something I read that they all make noise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The flywheel is in the location between the engine and on the left and the trans on the right if you're standing in front of the car. So it would be in the middle there where you were pointing the camera. I thought my timing was making a racket but noticed when I clutched in the noise went silent. So I know it's that TechnicalServiceBulletin noise. Now that I've had the car two months and it got super duper cold out, like 5 degrees, 16 degrees etc. I can hear the timing make noise when the engine is super cold. If I drive off when super cold it will make noise, and the more load I put, the more noise. If I remember correctly I read some horror stuff about some balance shaft and timing guides. My crazy self bought the car after that even after reading about the soft valve issue. I have a blend of 10w30 and 5w30 right now and so I'm excited to put 0w40 in it and see if that helps. It should but when it's cold not much you can do past that. Unless you install a oil pan heater. They have cheap ones online you can stick to the oil pan. Or oem that goes into the drain plug. There's also a oem coolant heater. I was wondering if installing one would help the valve situation. Also the trans has two shafts or something I read that they all make noise.
What is the technical service bulletin? Sorry I'm new to this and don't understand much of the words used to describe things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also what would the repair for this be?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts