SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just fitted it to my 93.
Mixed feelings, Less torque steer, but very stiff steering, turning left is difficult, right less so.
So as per the installation guide I slackened a little the bolts, but then I find a slight vibration at 145 Km/h, and some torque steer.

My questions to you, Saab gurus are:

- What should be the optimum adjustment and how do I accomplish it?

- Why is there stiffness? If I loosen the bolts, won't they fall off due to vibrations?
None of the installation guides I've seen are very clear on adjusting, only on installing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
771 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
You may have the clamp too tight.
if you're worried about the bolts falling off, just get some lock washers, you should be able to loosen them a fairly good amount and the washers will still keep the bolts "locked"

as far as tuning it goes, i tighten mine as hard as i could, stiffness for me is not an issue, i used to drive a 914 lol

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
mfyoung said:
if you're worried about the bolts falling off, just get some lock washers, you should be able to loosen them a fairly good amount and the washers will still keep the bolts "locked"

as far as tuning it goes, i tighten mine as hard as i could, stiffness for me is not an issue, i used to drive a 914 lol
With a 3/4" drive rachet, I tightened mine pretty damn tight. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
771 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
What other steering mods do you have on?
the brace, a version of a 6-point brace (its only 5), and some other internal stiffening pieces

plus i unhooked the front sway bar. I'll try and get a pic for you so you can see the pieces, the front suspensions been plated in areas, theres alot of bracing on the front frame rails, i also have braces connecting the firwall to the inner fenders, some other pieces too

I've been thinking about tubing the car lately, but its still kinda my dd, and i'm leaning more towards no

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
did you put any grease on the seering rack and clamp?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mmm, strange, as if I tighten mine fully (Just so the bolts are all the way in) the steering is hampered to the left, but its OK to the right :eek:

I have the 6 point subframe brace and koni's.

The vibration wasn't there before..

In my install there wasn't any mention on rasing the car so the wheels were off the ground, although I have read it in other threads..

Nor was there any mention of greasing the rack..what kind of grease? Copper grease, or normal lube grease?

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It's not grease, loose bolts or medicine oil you need.

The rack clamp is hitting your steering arm / track rod. Open the hood and go bounce on the front of the car with the steering in different positions and watch ;)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yes, in my opinion. Straight brace is bad design. Lowered suspension hits all the time, stock just does it occasionally.

I have a DIY banana shaped brace. Abbott put theirs in under the control arm.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yes, very much like that. But, make it a little longer and put a banana bend in it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok, I fabbed one a few days ago. The thing is sturdy as hell. I made it from mild steel pipe since it's the only material I had around that was appropriate. I'm not even certain of the diameter...maybe .5in ID.
In order to clear the tie rod I welded a "tab" on the end of the pipe that actually bolts to the rack. The pipe approaches the rack bolt from above so it's raised well above the tie rod.
On the other end I welded a 3/8" ss bolt. I ground down the head and slid it just inside the pipe before welding. The threaded end of the bolt slides through the 3/8" hold I drilled in the wheel well and it's secured with a fender washer, lock washer, and of course nut.
My description isn't the most clear so I'll try to snap some pics.
Steering really does feel more precise and "torque steer" is limited. I need to do the drivers side bracket mod now.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
That sounds EXACTLY what I did. Works well :D

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I looked at mine (UK RHD) and the brace arm attaches to the lower rack clamp bolt and goes under the steering rod. Is this another variation?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts