SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2000 9-3 and under acceleration, the car pulls to ,i think, the left, ill double check on the way home. im prretty sure its a worn bushing but not sure which one exactly.

Here is what happens. when i get on the trottle is starts to pull to one side, always the same way, and when i let off, brake or cruse, it seems to go straight for the most part. also when im accelerating and drive over some what uneven road surfaces, the car jerks side to side and it makes it feel dangerous to drive. its not normal torque steer feeling and it feels like something is loose.

I also have some worn/shoot engine and trans mounts that i need to replace too. i didnt think that those would cause the issue but i bet they really arent helping.

any tips or things to look at, let me know.

steering/handling mods: steering rack poly bushing, GS rear anti roll bar, and some 17 in rims with 215/50 tires,

·
Registered
248 Posts
did this start before or after the steering rack poly bushings were installed?

if after, immediately after, or did it take a while to manifest?

i would guess the same thing. did you have a shop do alignment after the bushing upgrade? maybe they just didn't do a very good job, or maybe the tie rod ends had just about had it already.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
could be ball joints on the control arms, or bushings on the control arms/ sanction arms.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
McVIGGEN
They look ok. I didnt see any play but i didnt have anyones help to turn the wheels while i was under it.

Jonathans
This has been happening sense i bought the car a few months ago. I put the poly bushing on it like 2 weeks ago. All it did was make it easier to control the pulling but thats it.

AZR Racing
Ill check those next time i can put it up on my friends hoist.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Swap the tires front to rear on each side and see if it changes. That will either confirm or eliminate tires as the cause.

If your mounts are badly worn enough you could be loading up one axle and causing torque steer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got the whole front end off he ground and i found that on the front right wheel, the front control arm bushing is, i thing, completely gone now.
Now my new question is, should i replace all 4 control arm bushings, or just the one?

And should i get poly or just rubber, if i replace all 4?

Any other bushings i should replace while im at it?

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Unless the budget is really tight, I would replace both control arms. Freshen up the whole front end.

Poly will give tighter handling, for some more $'s and a little vibration transmission.

Check out the stanchion arms. If the bushing was dead, the other components were taking a big hit when you went over bumps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless the budget is really tight, I would replace both control arms. Freshen up the whole front end.

Poly will give tighter handling, for some more $'s and a little vibration transmission.

Check out the stanchion arms. If the bushing was dead, the other components were taking a big hit when you went over bumps.

The arm its self can get warn out too?

At this moment money is a little tight. but my plan is to park it over the winter and find everything that i need to fix(mechanically wise like bushings, brakes, and motor mounts). i want to get my handling up to par and then im gonna look into more power. I should be making a little more during the winter times so i should have the money then to fix it. i plan some day(hopefully within a year) putting down 250+hp, should i still get rubber or would poly be better then?

On a side not, should i start a build thread of my own? I plan on doing alot of suspention mods, intake and exhaust work, different turbo(and everythign that goes with that), and a lot of replacement parts.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, thats what i thought you ment the control arm bushings and not the arm itself, just had to check. and if poly would be better for more hp then ill go with those. i dont think its too much more for poly.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I believe the only way to get a lower ball joint is to buy an entire arm. The arm will come with the subframe bushing and the stanchion arm bushing already installed. Only they will not be Poly.

I just pulled my suspension apart and the lower ball joints were shot. Bushings in the control arm were still good, but the stanchion bushing to subframe looked rough.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just answering what the problem was with my car. my control arm bolt was loose, i removed the bolt and inspected it. it was ok and so was where it bolted to the frame. it is now back and everything is ok.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just answering what the problem was with my car. my control arm bolt was loose, i removed the bolt and inspected it. it was ok and so was where it bolted to the frame. it is now back and everything is ok.
YESSSSS!!!!
I was having a similar problem that had me stumped: pull to the right under power, pull to the left under braking. Just checked after reading this post and found the left control arm bolt wasn't tightened properly. Problem solved!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
YESSSSS!!!!
I was having a similar problem that had me stumped: pull to the right under power, pull to the left under braking. Just checked after reading this post and found the left control arm bolt wasn't tightened properly. Problem solved!
cause of that control arm bolt being loose, it wore out my tie rod ends so i replaced the outer tie rods and inner rod bushings as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts