SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Any one know what size the steering column lock module bolt is?

Okay, I got it out.
Allen head size is 5.5mm (you can also try 5.4mm).
Can runs and drives without the steering column lock module.
Still states it is malfunctioning in the SID and also my ECS is off.

But the original posters fix (or workaround) does work, if you are in the same situation as me.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Pin 86 to ACC (powered thru ignition switch or light etc which you want to power your relay NO SWITCH.
Pin 85 to switch. Switch other pin to ground.
Pin 30 to battery via FUSE.
Pin 87 to light, horn etc (pin +), light (etc) other pin to ground.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Pin 86 to ACC (powered thru ignition switch or light etc which you want to power your relay NO SWITCH.
Pin 30 to battery via FUSE.
Pin 87 to light, horn etc (pin +), light (etc) other pin to ground.
I did pin 85 to battery ground with the relay in the socket and burnt the a 20 amp fuse, twice.

Also I burnt the starter because I got a bunch of small wire strands stuck into where the relay is and it kept the starter on while the car was running.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What you are doing?

That the same as pin 85 to negative battery terminal, no?
I was testing it before I wired the switch.

The starter remained on as the car was running because pin 30 and 87 was shorted by small wire strands inside the fuse box.
Which I kind of thought might happen, lol and then it did.
I wired the switch to 30 and 87, then went to rewire this morning.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
So you are adding relay to starter motor?

·
Registered
531 Posts
So you are adding relay to starter motor?
No adding a switch inside my car, so I don't have to use pliers to start it.
I had pins 30 and 87 shorted, but the wires inside the pins got shorted and broke the starter; because the starter stayed on while the car was running.

I tried pin 85 to ground/negative battery terminal, but it blew a 20 amp fuse twice.
So then I wired the switch to pin 30 and 87, but wanted to change it this morning because I felt it had too much current going through it.
Also I did not like the frayed wires inside pins 30 and 87 potentially shorting, which they did.
But it also wasn't easy to take the fuse box apart, when I had it out yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
9,061 Posts
My situation:
2007 Saab 9-3 Auto 2.0T
I have this error: "Steering wheel lock malfunction pull over when safe"
CANNOT turn steering wheel , it's locked
CANNOT turn key in ignition

I have two questions:
1) Has any one gotten this "work-around" (or fix) to start the car?
2) Has any one gotten this fix to unlock the steering lock?
@Mimmi

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Forget that and fix original system.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Unfortunately, I have to replace the starter due to my negligence :LOL:

Can you use a 02-03 & 9-5 2.3L 02-09 51-94-758 M000T86781 starter for an 2007?
Is it more powerful, so it's incompatible?
It looks the same as 2007 starter.
Also Chevy Cobalt has the same looking starter, I would think that one is less powerful.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually did this bypass on my 2003 9-3 about 2 years ago and it is still working !!!! get about 3 feet of wires or so thin enough wire that can plug into the fuse block. Get a 2 way toggle switch and Remove fuse #2 on the driver side panel to run a wire to each side of where the fuse would make contact and run each lead of wire to each end of the toggle switch MAKE SURE THEY DONT TOUCH OR COME OUT!!! I mounted my switch by the blinker switch just remove that vent with a flathead screwdriver and it should pop out and drill a hole to mount switch as you can se in my pictures. Here is the procedure 1. Put key in ignition switch and turn if it starts your good to go!!! If your key wont turn do this 1. Pull key completely out 2. Cycle toggle switch from on to off to on again. 3. Insert key into switch and pull it out completely out like 3-5 times in and out in and out and etc. 4. Insert key and start the car !!!! NOTE. Make sure u mount toggle switch so you know whats on and off it worked for me should for you to!!!
w

·
Registered
531 Posts
I should be able to wire it into the relay I just don't know how.
Well I do know how, but it should be wired into the low current pins that go to the ignition.
I don't know why pin 85 to neg battery terminal blows fuse.
I could wire it into the switch in my cab and then to chassis ground, but that's almost the same thing.
I think grounding point matter to some extent, but if negative battery terminal blows fuse then chassis ground should also.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts