SaabCentral Forums banner

Steering lock fault. Car unusable.

493 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Hirschmann & Koxha 
#1 ·
Our Saab 9-3 rag-top had to be lifted and taken to an auto electrical workshop. I understand that the Column Integrated Module (CIM) unit needs replacing. They can be bought from a breakers yard for +/- £90 but they must be de-programmed from the "doner" car and I need to supply the security code for our car.
The alternative is to completely replace all of the security components which will cost around £970 + £400 for labour which would obviate the need for the unit to be de-programmed (apparently)
My questions are:-
  • Does anyone on this forum have any experience that they can share of this problem?
  • How do I obtain the security code now that there are no Saab distributers left?
Any thoughts would be most welcome.

#2 ·
You might have SCL (steering lock) or ISM (ignition switch) failures as CIM failure.
ISM is direct swap on, but SCL and CIM needs TECH2 (and security access) for marriage.
Security code is in TIS sw.
If you need to change CIM, you need either new or used with fobs, you can not use existing fobs with used CIM.

#6 ·
Tech2 is not needed for CIM.
Nor is it needed to buy a used one with keys.

We designed something called "CIM Tool",
which is an open source tool based on an Arduino Uno R3. It allows you to copy the data of your existing CIM and transfer it onto the "new" one.

This way any programming with the Tech2 becomes obsolete.

The SCL can be repaired as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.