SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 9³ OG Vert
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with these kits from Maptun? There's no description of included components so I emailed them to ask, in which the reply was..."I have no detailed description. What you see in the pic is what you get" . Certainly not a real confidence booster. Lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
is there something specific you are looking for? You could probably look at a Saab parts diagram to get an idea of what is on it.
But it does look like it has the standard components necessary to swap them out.

Reactions: G_dubbz

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
That looks like the ProParts strut that they've sold for a while. It's interesting that it doesn't come with a hub, so you'll have to buy one of those and pay a machine shop to have it pressed in. I think it would be better to find a used one at a local junkyard.

·
Registered
2001 9³ OG Vert
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are you replacing the entire housing? Is yours overly rusty?
Yes. Extremely rusty...especially in the hub area. So I figured a complete new setup to swap in would be best, especially since it's a daily driver.

I figured that Maptun would at least be able to tell me what shock and spring were installed but couldn't even get that out of them. Lol

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Yes. Extremely rusty...especially in the hub area. So I figured a complete new setup to swap in would be best, especially since it's a daily driver.

I figured that Maptun would at least be able to tell me what shock and spring were installed but couldn't even get that out of them. Lol
I think Jeremy's guess was correct - they're selling Proparts and they don't know what's in it.

Generally struts housings are fine and can just be cleaned up unless the top is rusted out (where the nut that holds the cartridge in goes). Sandblast, paint, reuse.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
What he said.

If you're dead set on replacing parts, I'd call Goldwing or Rancho Saab and just buy a new knuckle. No point spending serious coin shipping questionable parts overseas when there are plenty of good-used parts available in the USA. Hell, check out the classifieds here or on saabnet for someone parting out a 9-3... these are not high-demand parts, you'll be able to find one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, save your dough. And as one of the previous noted, have a shop press out the bearings and hubs. You can pound them out and back in, but it ain't worth it. Trust me.
Or, better yet, until you need new bearings, leave them alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts