SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I pull away while truning I get a knocking noise from the steering... anyone got an idea what it could be?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
when I pull away while truning I get a knocking noise from the steering... anyone got an idea what it could be?
More than likely a dead cv joint if it makes it whilst turning tightly and accelerating.

Turn the steering fully both ways, get on your hands and knees and check to see if you have a split cv boot/gaitor, should be quite obvious as well as there being grease everywhere. Thats a visual way of checking if its gone as it'll probably be too late to replace just the boot/gaitor if theres a noise

·
Registered
155 Posts
CVs click not clunk

does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgVChXSdjgk best heard around 45-55 secs in...my camera is cheap and was making a lot of noise lol

if so, upper strut bearings are worn out...just replaced mine, its as good as new

check the CVs just to be safe, but they should not make a clunking sound

^ my upper strut bearings lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
had my left front strut bearing replaced by my indie for about $100 total. my car was making similar noises to those in the video and now it's fixed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How was replacing the bearings? Any step by step how to for those of us who need to do this?

i used WIS instructions

its cake

lift car
remove wheel
remove sway bar end link
remove bolts holding strut in on top and bottom
pull strut out
rent spring compressor from autozone
compress springs
pull bearings out

go backwards to assemble

1 - 6 of 6 Posts