SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My 89 900 has started to develop a strange steering issue.

It seems more prevalent when its cold outside. When I turn the steering wheel to one side the power steering is fine the other side seems much more stiff and unequal.

Does this mean a new power steering pump or is the rack in need of replacement(is there any temporary solution??)?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Does it go away after driving for a while? If so then that is a fairly common issue known effectionatly as "morning sickness". It would require replacement to fix but it isn't a huge issue and you can drive it like that for years with no issues.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Yes its almost always in the morning. Once the car warms its better but it just started to do this and Im just wondering what "morning sickness" is so perhaps I can medicate the car a little!

Do you know the cause?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
pressure in one side and not the other?
it can be caused by a blockage in the oil galleries in the bulkhead or worn rings between the galleries, or leaking ram seals (i think thats what they are called..) if it were leaking ram seals then your rack boots will be full of oil and probably leaking.
a fluid change may help a little..
and as mentioned, the only way to fix it is to get a new rack, or have yours rebuilt.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. Feels like one side has pressure and the other is weak , there is SOME pressure but not a whole lot.

Ill try to change the oil. Is this the power steering fluid that needs to be drained and replaced? I cannot afford rack replacement at this time tho I really like the old car!

Thanks again for the insight.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
yeah it is. you can use ATF to replace the existing fluid also. i have used dexron III and never had any problems.
if anyone else uses a different fluid then speak now :cheesy:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I just did the fluid change myself...used PS fluid. Make sure you siphon off all of the old fluid and after you put in the new fluid be sure to bleed the system...with the front wheels off the ground. Cap off ,turn to lock in each direction 2-3 times. Should be much better than.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think ATF Dextron III should be the way to go.

Ill remember to bleed the system as well. Whatever will save me $800 its worth it!

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
If you really want to save money, skip the fluid change and start saving up for a new Rack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts