SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While turning my steering wheel I get a creaking/clicking sound. Hard to describe - but it gives the impression of the sound of winding up a large spring or something.

- Happens regardless of whether or not the engine is running
- Not an issue of dry steering, happens equally whether the car is moving or parked.
- Happens during all ranges of turning the wheel.

Any ideas before I either go insane or lay down some $$$?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Start with the usual sustpects, balljoints, cv-joints, tie-rods, etc. Does it come from one side of the car? How loud is it? Hear it only when the radio is off?

Jack the car up and wiggle the tire from which side it seems to come from most. Make sure that as the tire moved back and forwth the steering wheel moves. Check your front end suspension as well, e.g. struts, mounts, and springs.

Odd noises can be a PITA. To steal a line from one of our veteran forum posters...assume nothing.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
On the older cars, the steering operation created some noises due to displaced floor papers, mats, and cardboard rubbing against the steering shaft.

Also if the firewall paper/cardboard where to slip, this too could rub, if dry enough, quite a screech would be emitted.
Plenty of silicone spray and some house (car) keeping to rectify..
Maybe the same applies to the newer ones..
Check out all of the rubber used in the steering and suspension...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts