SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested I have an extra SKF steering column bearing new in package. I bought two when I was over in Germany earlier this month and only need the one. It appears to be OEM sold through Skandix.DE.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
General bearing information:
Almost any bearing can be matched at your local Bearing shop. Every medium-size city has one.
They'll read the numbers, use one of their many cross-references, and usually offer you a choice of brands. Bearings are very cheap when you buy them this way. About 20 years ago you could buy every transmission bearing except the layshaft bearing for about $70. The one layshaft bearing was about $35.
If it has a major brand-name on it, they can get it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
General bearing information:
Almost any bearing can be matched at your local Bearing shop. Every medium-size city has one.
They'll read the numbers, use one of their many cross-references, and usually offer you a choice of brands. Bearings are very cheap when you buy them this way. About 20 years ago you could buy every transmission bearing except the layshaft bearing for about $70. The one layshaft bearing was about $35.
If it has a major brand-name on it, they can get it.
In general what you say is true. This particular bearing is 40mm OD x 24mm ID x 8mm Thick, which makes it unique. You won't find a "standard" deep groove, or other, bearing with those dimensions. I'm guessing SKF was contracted by Saab to make this goofball size. I already contacted Eastern Industrial Automation (formerly Eastern Bearing) to see if they could source something after my internet searches of FAG, INA, KYK, TIMKEN, & SKF turned up nada. The gentlemen I spoke to was stumped, said he would contact his conterparts in Europe to see if they had anything. I spoke with design engineers (company where I work) in the UK and Germany to see if they could source this size. They too turned up empty handed. Not saying it doesn't exist, but if you want to use the original outer and inner rubber bushings, the OEM is the only option I found.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Is there a specific dimension which is problematic? Could one machine a shim or use shim tape or some other adapter to employ a more common bearing?

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
Somebody made them, they could again.
The transmission ones are caged rollers with the shaft as the inner race and the cluster gear as the outer race. You could probably pop new rollers in the old cage. Eriksson Industries gets them somewhere.
I imagine the contract ran on the steering bearing and nobody renewed it. Could you have stacked 2 bearings?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a specific dimension which is problematic? Could one machine a shim or use shim tape or some other adapter to employ a more common bearing?
I was able to find a 37mm OD x 24mm ID x 8mm thick on Amazon, but it doesn't seem as robust as I would like for this application. I 3D printed a new outer bushing to make it fit. That's what I have in my car now, but I don't like the added movement of the steering wheel due to the softer bushings, so I am going to replace it with the OEM bearing.

Somebody made them, they could again.
The transmission ones are caged rollers with the shaft as the inner race and the cluster gear as the outer race. You could probably pop new rollers in the old cage. Eriksson Industries gets them somewhere.
I imagine the contract ran on the steering bearing and nobody renewed it. Could you have stacked 2 bearings?
Pretty sure SKF made the original, and the ones I picked up in Germany are new OEM parts because they have that same copper colored finish and they are stamped with number 309544 DB, same as the one I pulled from my 92'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts