SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent been on the forums in a while but i did some searching and found that a clunk from the drivers side steering is usually accredited to a bad rear engine mount, but if i shake the wheel hard even at a stop i can feel it in the steering and hear a CLUNK, i have a 9-3 with koni springs and kyb gr2 shocks i havent pulled it apart yet thinking maybe i over torqued something but to me it feels like the inner tie rod, any thoughts?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Nigh impossible to determine exactly what you are trying to say, Boosted..

Which wheel do you speak of ?

As a guess, check the mounting of the steering rack.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Boosted 9-3 said:
Havent been on the forums in a while but i did some searching and found that a clunk from the drivers side steering is usually accredited to a bad rear engine mount, but if i shake the wheel hard even at a stop i can feel it in the steering and hear a CLUNK, i have a 9-3 with koni springs and kyb gr2 shocks i havent pulled it apart yet thinking maybe i over torqued something but to me it feels like the inner tie rod, any thoughts?
The inner tie rods mount to the center of the rack with large bolts (15 mm IIRC) and a securing plate over them to keep them from going loosey goosey on you. Not likely the source of your problem. If you get under the car for a few minutes with a bottle jack or a real big pry bar you can rule out the rear mount for real. Sometimes bushings bind and twist and then release causing a clunk sound. Get under and check the rear mount, then check the control arm bushings.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This seems like exactly what's happening to me. Whenever I go over a bump, the steering wheel literally shakes, and sounds like kluumpp! I have changed the outer tie rod ends, control arms, the sway bar end links that mount to the bar and control arms are fine. I have no idea what on earth it could be... :roll:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like the drivers side wheel and i can also feel and hear it over slow small bumps ive seen the plate that links the inner tie rods and the drivers side seems like it could be a little loose im not sure how much play should be in it and i cant compare it to the other side because im pretty sure they would be diffrent lenghts

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
As long as the hexagonal openings in the locking plate still surround both nuts, then the nuts cannot spin and hence loosen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a chance to look at it today, it almost seemed at first like the rack was loose but i tightend the bolts on the firewall and had someone shake the wheel, Now that i look at it, it seems like where the inner rods bolt to the rack that there not flat on the plate the bolts cant slip because of the hexigon plate but i think that a bad alighnment paired with the lower koni/kyb suspension and the bigger wheels may have the wheels toed out at the top of the wheel witch might be putting the inner rods off the center of the plate making slack where there bolted to the rack... any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
A clunk while sitting is usually a bad balljoint could be tie-rod end, could be LCA.
A clunk over bumps... strut mount.
a clunk while stopping; Stanchion arm bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts