SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 900i has started making a clunking noise from the front nearside when I go over bumps and pot holes over the last few days, now this morning driving to work there is a definate squeaking from the same place when I turn the steering wheel, but only at low speeds. Have had a quick look underneath and can't see anything obvious, but no mechanic. There is no apparent effect on the steering, isn't stiff and doesn't wander. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
douglas900i said:
My 84 900i has started making a clunking noise from the front nearside when I go over bumps and pot holes over the last few days, now this morning driving to work there is a definate squeaking from the same place when I turn the steering wheel, but only at low speeds. Have had a quick look underneath and can't see anything obvious, but no mechanic. There is no apparent effect on the steering, isn't stiff and doesn't wander. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
i believe that would be ball joints. either that or tierod ends--i forget which is which ;oops:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the speedy response

Thanks for that, is it still safe to drive? Could do with getting a couple of shortish journies in before I get it fixed. Assume this means replacing ball joints, can I just get one done or should they be replaced in pairs? Is it a DIY job and is it expensive? Sorry for so many questions but bit of a Saab newbie. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i usually do them in pairs and they only cost about a tenner each,as for diy its an easy enough job the only tool you really need (apart from spanners :cheesy: ) is a balljoint seperator which cost about 6 quid, you will need one of the tuning fork types to get the bottom joint out

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi there,

Well, the ball joint notion here is highlighted well enough...........good!

Regarding the squeak, do you know if it is outside or inside the cabin or engine bay.....? Is it speed or suspension traverse rate related...?
I have had on both 900's I've owned a squeak that eminated from the steering shaft where it goes through the boot in the floor behind the pedals! Only tended to show up while car was cold and with subtle steering wheel movements...
A bit of weather proof grease fixed it nicely.

Good Luck

Cheers
900i '93

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The squeak

The squeak is definately coming from the nearside wheel so am thinking it must be related to the ball joint problem. As I said just happens at low speed and only from that wheel. Will do the ball joints first, then investigate squeak if it persists.

·
Registered
722 Posts
mat you can get it with one of the seperators you have if you loosen the nut right off then cut the shaft ,allowing enough room to get the seperator in ,i got one of the fork types as well to save me any hassle

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
You were right the first time - it's the bottom ball joint.

The top one works fine with the lever tool. However, if you use 3/4-inch spacers between the top wishbone and bodywork, the steering knuckle's not quite at the correct angle to give equal clearance between the knuckle and the top of the ball joint. You have too much clearance on the inside, and too little on the outside.

So the spacer height would seem to be a wee bit less than 3/4-inch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Matthew said:
Can you not get out the bottom joint using one of the lever-types?
Matthew, you can use one of these tools for the top joint, but there is not enough room for the bottom one (the balljoint nut is very close to u/j housing). If you get the 'Laser' seperator, it comes apart, so you can use one half of it (the forked bit) on its own. The bottom balljoint is a real swine. I ended up wedging the tool in and then with the car raised, putting a bar between the ground and the seperator and then lowering the car to get a bit of weight and leverage!! It worked, but probably not recommended :eek:. You also cannot get a socket in there (let alone a torque wrench), so how you are supposed to torque up I don't know. Still, not a tricky job, just requires patience and some fiddling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts