SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!

What a great site, I have learned a ton here, and the new to me Saab 9-5 Wagon I drive is marvelous. By my math and the SID, my last tank of gas was 32.1 mpg. (US).

Here is my only problem with the car. As many of you know, remote keys are currently impossible to find, nobody has them anywhere. I got some Transponder Key blanks and banana remotes so I can have multiple keys. I also have some used Remote Keys for the day they hopefully make blanks again.

Today I took the newly cut Transponder keys to the local SAAB shop. They banana remotes work, the keys fit, but the keys are not recognized by the anti-theft system. By hitting the banana remote you can use the key to start the car, so that works. But the mechanics and I are confused about it. They have the Tech II and programming was no problem.

But do the key blanks need cloned before the programming? Looking over the data, it talks about blank transponder keys needing cloned before they work. Isn't that what the Type II machine is supposed to do, or do you have to clone the key blanks before programming them for use in the car?

Thanks for your help, and if you have any blank key fobs for a 2001 9-5 sitting around your house let me know!!!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
You have to have 1 working key with transponder. Only with that key can you clone another. The TWICE can have up to 4 keys programmed. If you hit the Max number of keys I am not sure what happens to say the 5th key.
I think with your key in the ignition and turned on you press the trunk button and the SID shows the number of keys already programmed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moose,

You are 100% right. The problem is the new Transponder Keys I have won't be accepted as legit keys by my car. They are cut correctly, they fit in the ignition and turn it, but they are not accepted by the car unless you hit the banana remote first.

Is it a case that the Transponders in the keys are bad, or is it that the keys need cloned by a machine before they can be read and accepted in my car?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Moose,

You are 100% right. The problem is the new Transponder Keys I have won't be accepted as legit keys by my car. They are cut correctly, they fit in the ignition and turn it, but they are not accepted by the car unless you hit the banana remote first.

Is it a case that the Transponders in the keys are bad, or is it that the keys need cloned by a machine before they can be read and accepted in my car?
With 1 fully working key you should be able to get another "Married" to the TWICE but this can only be done with a Tech II.
Not sure if the chips can go bad or not, but I would expect that everything can fail, so why not a chip?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts