SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 900s saab that starts in grear. the car has a 5 speen manual trans i can turn the key without pushing in the clutch and it will turn over. why does my car do this what can i do to fix it. i know its not to be like this

·
Registered
145 Posts
don't worry there is nothing wrong with your car. Every saab I've owed (1985, 1990, 2000) has been manual trans, and all of them behave this way. Most other cars do require the clutch to be depressed to start, why saab doesnt, I don't know. I guess that it just adds to the list of what makes a saab a saab.

Here is a link containing the same subject.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90478

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
9-5's and I believe the 9-3SS's now to require you to depress the clutch pedal to start the car. I liked not having to do that because (as I often did)I could throw it into neutral and start it in a hurry, and not worry about pressing in the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I've never owned a car that required you to push the clutch in to start the car.

My Dad's Neon does this though. Took me forever to figure out how to get it to turn on from the passenger seat (in neutral) so I could have some AC while waiting on him one time.

It's a stupid idea I think....

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
hah, well a stupid idea like that saves a lot of people from running into other cars parked close in front or behind when starting. i found out my car could turn over without the clutch pushed in in my driveway once and i almost ran it into the garage door. now i always start it in neutral or push in the clutch. i don't really think there is any advantage to being able to start the car without the clutch in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its a hybrid ;)

This is actually a good thing if you start having clutch dissengaging troubles.I have saved thousands in tow bills be starting out with the starter and then syncro shifting my way home.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks alot gus. i thought something was wrong, because my sisters mustang gt you have to push in the clutch to start it. well thanks again
BF!ChuckB said:
Its a hybrid ;)

This is actually a good thing if you start having clutch dissengaging troubles.I have saved thousands in tow bills be starting out with the starter and then syncro shifting my way home.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
GO-SAAB-GO said:
hey thanks alot gus. i thought something was wrong, because my sisters mustang gt you have to push in the clutch to start it. well thanks again
Yeah, amercian muscle is alot different from Sweedish fine tuning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts