SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 SAAB 93 SE with over 260k. Car starts great, then after driving for a bit (less than 10 miles) she does some hard bucking, missing. On deceleration sometimes she dies, then plays hard to start for awhile...eventually starts and last time this happened I drove her home and now I don't trust her. How do I troubleshoot problem? DIC? Fuel pump? MAF?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
2000 SAAB 93 SE with over 260k. Car starts great, then after driving for a bit (less than 10 miles) she does some hard bucking, missing. On deceleration sometimes she dies, then plays hard to start for awhile...eventually starts and last time this happened I drove her home and now I don't trust her. How do I troubleshoot problem? DIC? Fuel pump? MAF?
DIC ?
Simply disconnect, pull, remove the plugs, and test by connecting the plugs to the inverted DIC and try to start the engine.
There should be quite the fireworks, if she is OK
FP ?
If, during above procedure, there is either fire or a good smell of gasoline, then the FP may be OK. There are better ways,,,,listen to the pump , or check the rail pressure.
CPS ?
If possible, test using an oscilloscope.
She is the primary suspect and prone to fail when hot and 150K miles.
MAF ?
Disconnect, as I recall, the engine will run without it, but not quite as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds about right...haven't taken the opportunity to do much stop and go driving...it's been to the store/bank then straight home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DIC-I'll check it tomorrow.
FP-I hear it running, haven't checked it at the rail. What should I see there?
CPS-Don't have an o-scope. Any other test method?
MAF-Only thing I've seen is to clean it.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Unplug maf and drive it, if it drives better replace maf, if not, look else where. Sounds to me like a sensor that is reacting to temp, so maybe the ntc, etc? Do you have a cel?

·
Registered
119 Posts
check your oil too, i have a baaad leak and when it runs really low on oil, it likes to sputter and almost die, and idle very low, like ~750rpms. I suspect low engine pressure for my issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Checked the oil, it's good. Changed the CPS, drove it around and thought I had taken care of the issue...then she died at Suicide Turnaround. Pushed her into a parking lot. Tried to get her to start, gave up after 5-10 minutes of cranking. Checked fuel pressure at rail by pressing schrader valve. Weak but present fuel dribble...
What kind of fuel pressure should I be seeing at this schrader valve? Got a ride home, ate and getting ready to go back and see if she will start and make it home...

Went back....cranked and cranked and cranked. Nada.
Checked schrader valve...dribbles fuel. Not much, just a little.
Dark outside in a strange parking lot so I will wait until tomorrow and try again...

How to know if it's the dreaded DIC, fuel pump, or I installed a bad CPS?

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
According to the WIS, you should see 3.0 bar, or ~43 psi. So, you might see a little more or less depending on the accuracy of your gauge. But, you definitely should see more than a dribble. Just be careful... Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That means I need some kind of fuel pressure gauge...
Headed back to the car now, it might just start up again, that would be par for the course. At least now I know to watch the tach while cranking to see if the new CPS I installed yesterday is good or not...if not...
AAA towing to get her home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Towed Again

Sitting in the parking lot waiting on a DIC and set of plugs. Maybe they'll arrive today. It's sad being in a place with absolutely no SAAB parts for 300 miles...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DIC arrived, switched it out and she starts right up with a "What, was something wrong?" kind of attitude. Ordered the PFR6H-10 plugs (+/-$40 for the set) from Titan, they arrived today. Set the gaps on them at .036". Gaps on the plugs out of the box were waaay off so always do this. I feel good about the old girl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts