SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..about the possibility of sludge. :eek:

I'd like to drop the pan and clean the pickup screen soon, but don't know how. I had it cleaned last year by mechanic but never done it myself.

is there a good writeup for this? I know i have to remove the subframe, at least partially, but I can do this in my driveway, right? Any advice/ideas/experiences would be helpful!

jb

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You just had it cleaned last year? And you are concerned? Relax and stop reading the sludge threads. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is just fine.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
vansamirin said:
What is the actual percentage of cars that will have sludge problems? I heard it was something pretty low, like 4%?
There is no set percentage that has been published by Saab/GM. I would guess more then 4% and less than 20%. Certainly not something I lose sleep over.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
woody2807 said:
I have just done my sump drop, I got the intructions here .. http://www.fixmysaab.com/9-5_repair/oilpan/step1.asp?nsteps=4

8 hrs later and my mind is at rest.

It wouldn't take that long now I know what I'm doing, I tried it with out loosening the subframe.. thats not a good idea

If you have any questions get in touch.
After I did mine, I had to get an alignment. Just loosening the subframe bolts and then putting them back allowed it to move enough to ruin my alignment.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Checking for Sludge

If you are worried about sludge, first try the bent coat hanger through the drain hole. Scrape it around the bottom of the sump, pull it out and see if there is any sludge. However, if you just had it cleaned a year ago and if you have been changing oil around 5.000 miles with synthetic oil and you have PCV rev. 6, you shouldn't have much to worry about!!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts