SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a 1992 9000 S, Auto.

I am looking at trading my 900 standard a 1988 for a Saab 9000 S, 1992.

I got my first intro to Saabs when my mini van had a slip of the tranny. and we bought thios for 100.00 dollars. I started out fixing the spray of a leak on the fuel pump. And then i installed a new heater core. Did some welding on the back door handles and did the entire exhaust by myself.

Everything is good it is up and running aside from issues starting.

The 9000 s i was looking at is prestine. The DIC has been replaced. He starts the car up when i went to look at it. Then it dies out 5 minutes later.

He says fuel fump. I am thinking easy first.....fuel filter, plugs and wires. The car has sat a while.

maybe clean the Neutral safety switch.

We tried to restart it, i heard it crank over. But would not catch. The anti theft went off. and finally got it shut off. When it ran it sounded lovely...nice even sound, not too noisy. and all electricals went on the heat and the internal lights. But the voltage reading dropped more and more as i tried to crank it again.

Any ideas.??

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
May be as simple as an alternator and battery. Did you notice what the voltage output was while it was running?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i did not...but as i cranked it to start it again it did drop tremendously.

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
When you first put the ignition on (but not start the engine) it should show the battery output. After starting the engine, it shows voltage drop. I think 9.5 is fairly normal. After a minute or so it shows alternator output.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ask him why he thinks it the fuel pump. He better give a full diagnostic answer or you've got some work to do.

Tuneup parts will not shut the car down in 5 minutes and not allow restart. Cars needing tuneups start hard, run rough, stall, and restart. I am interested in why the anti-theft went off (although I had a random anti-theft episode on my Audi once).

Will it restart at all? How long has it been sitting and why was it parked? Did the car have any issues before it was parked?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He has no idea. a lady owned it before him....and no real history.

Other wise no real idea. I have resurrected a 1988 saab 900...took a few months and 1200 dollars later....alot of question, a bit of help from friends and alot of asking questions from the saab experts i buy parts from....

He had replaced the DIC. The anti theft went on no idea why...

I am told it will restart after it sits for a long time....a few hours most of the time sounds like a fuel filter...with the sedement settling.

who knows...........

·
Registered
936 Posts
Battery might be crap.... or it isn't recharging.....

I had the anti-thefy lock me out twice for no reason in my 9000...months apart, wait 15 minutes started right up...... electrical gremlins come out of hibrination randomly on 10+ year old cars *shrugs*

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally managed to do the trade for my 1988 saab 900, for an updated glorified beauty of a project a 1992 saab 9000 s. We started it up a few times and after a few it died out. It was quiet while running. Time to run some diagnosis and see what it yields. It is something with the fuel line i assume. After i charge the battery i will know more.

Otherwise i like the newer project. Have a headliner to do, some knobs and switches and sew a leather seat where it ripped at the seams inside. a bit of odds and ends the body is prestine and little if no rust outside.

I was wondering how do i post pics of my ice machine. Right now it is pretty much covered with residue snow we could not clean off. Looks good in the daylight though. Good sign.

I need to get it up and running....after i figure out what is making it stall....then enhance the lovely machine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.