SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently had a starting problem with my 07 9-5 with 2.3T. It has always started fine from a cold start, but twice I have a problems with restarting after a short drive. The first time I started my car, let it warm up and drove about a 1 1/2 miles to the the gas station. Put gas in the care, jumped in, turn it over, cranked and cranked, does not start. Pushed it over to side, removed the battery cables, thinking maybe I could re-boot the computer to see if it helped. Waited about 10 minutes, hook the cables back on and it started right up. Didn't have any more starting problems for 2 months.

The next time it happened, I started the car, let it warm up, drove up to the mail box at the other end of the complex, turn it off to check the mail, got back in cranked it over does not start. Try the battery thing again, makes no difference. Cranked it so much I drained the battery. The whole time cranking it, I never smelled any fuel. Took the battery back to the house, charged it up (2 hours) but the battery back in, started right up. Took it to the Saab Place and had them check the fuel pressure and its good. They thought it might be the crank sensor, but they said those usually act up when they have been running longer and get hot, then they fail.

Anyone have any ideas, I don't want to start throwing parts at it, hoping we get it. I'd like to be a little more sure before I start spending 100s for nothing. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I fact that it would not start after a fill up is a good clue. That is the most common scenario for a failing fuel pump. Fuel pressure will be great when the car runs. It needs to be tested when the car will not start. Other telltale- get used to the sound of the fuel pump priming/buzzing when you turn the key to on position but not the start position. The sound will come from under the driver side passenger seat. Next time it doesn’t start you probably are not going to hear that sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fact that it would not start after a fill up is a good clue. That is the most common scenario for a failing fuel pump. Fuel pressure will be great when the car runs. It needs to be tested when the car will not start. Other telltale- get used to the sound of the fuel pump priming/buzzing when you turn the key to on position but not the start position. The sound will come from under the driver side passenger seat. Next time it doesn’t start you probably are not going to hear that sound.
I'll have to listen for it. I typically let it pump up and run it's check cycle before I try starting it. The second time it failed I had 3/4 of a tank, but I don't remember if I heard the pump or not. That's why I had it tested, I've had pumps pressure up on other cars, but with real lower operating pressure which caused hard starting. It tested out a 40 psi and I've had no problems with it starting since ( about 2 weeks). I'll just have to listen to it the next time. I'm going to throw on a CPS and eliminate from the scenario, since it looks like a easy fix if that is it. Winter time in Maine is not a time to be stranded side the road at -10F, but I'll have to listen for the pump. Question, if the CPS is bad would I still hear the pump pressure up? Thanks for replying I appreciate your help.

Mark

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes, the pump will still pressure up. If you get stranded where the pump does not pressure , pull up the rear seat cushion, open the circular cover plate and that will expose the top of the fuel pump/fuel level sender unit and give it a slight wack That frequently works to get you out of a bind. Then' get it replaced!

·
Registered
95 Posts
On a US market '07 you won't be able to access the fuel pump without dropping the tank. Hard fuel lines in the US market. And in any case, CPS is such a common failure in these cars that refueling is likely a red herring. Any sort of motion that jiggles the wires/sensor even slightly could re-establish the connections in the sensor. Even slamming the hood can do that. I know that from experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts