SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second thread about the same problem, but I have different question. Anyone that lives in the cold weather can answer this....
Have any of you purchased block heaters or insulation blankets for your car to keep in warm overnight, so it's easier to start in the morning? If so, where did you get them from?

My car wouldn't start last night so I had it towed to the local auto repair shop. He ran diagnostics of the starter, alternator and battery and all tested fine. They are your typical run of the mill auto repair shop, so I didn't want them to investigate further into the fuel pump which is only 3 months old.

Thesaabsite.com says that when your vehicle has an extended crank time before turning over it could be the check valve on the fuel pump sticking open causing lack of fuel pressure. They also said it could be a fuel leak, but I haven't seen any puddles or an overextraordinary fuel smell.

Has anyone else run into this issue with the CV?

·
Registered
365 Posts
99 9-3 SE Vert Owner said:
My second thread about the same problem, but I have different question. Anyone that lives in the cold weather can answer this....
Have any of you purchased block heaters or insulation blankets for your car to keep in warm overnight, so it's easier to start in the morning? If so, where did you get them from?

My car wouldn't start last night so I had it towed to the local auto repair shop. He ran diagnostics of the starter, alternator and battery and all tested fine. They are your typical run of the mill auto repair shop, so I didn't want them to investigate further into the fuel pump which is only 3 months old.

Thesaabsite.com says that when your vehicle has an extended crank time before turning over it could be the check valve on the fuel pump sticking open causing lack of fuel pressure. They also said it could be a fuel leak, but I haven't seen any puddles or an overextraordinary fuel smell.

I've never had any problems with my Saab not starting in the cold (come to think of it any car my family has ever owned) weather, and so have never owned a block heater. How cold was it last night when the car would not start? Did you try starting it today at all?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
99 9-3 SE Vert Owner said:
For this, I'd do a search...
I love the block heater, the '85 VW Diesel had one from the factory(a must) - nothing like a warm toasty car after 3 to 4 minutes and the engine also has an easier life.
But I do not think the cold is a direct problem..

Thesaabsite.com says that when your vehicle has an extended crank time before turning over it could be the check valve on the fuel pump sticking open causing lack of fuel pressure. They also said it could be a fuel leak, but I haven't seen any puddles or an overextraordinary fuel smell. It could be a rare type of "fuel leak", rather than having fuel leak OUT, air could be leaking IN...Since the pump is new, this would be the first thing to check... less that perfect workmanship is a problem..

I do not know if the cold exposed problems such as solder cracks in the pump relay, that would otherwise not be detected during the warm weather..
Has the CPS been examined ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was 19 degrees when I got off the train last night and it wouldn't start. After having it towed because she wouldn't start this morning, the repair shop got her to start after doing some diagnostics on the car. It was warmer out then yesterday which helped. It's supposed to be nice through the weekend maybe up to 60, but of course I got a soft top failure when I tried to open the top in my garage. Figures!!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
She is now 9 year old ...time flies:cheesy: and the troubles now begin...

Do you have the "little" "SAAB" battery(42) or a larger more powerful type 75 - which can easily be made to fit ??
Battery load and charging test have to be done very carefully - mistakes are easy to make....
I have the 42, next time, soon, it will be the 75...

Then check the ECUs temperature sensor..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Earthworm. I have the 75. It's the only good thing that the previous owner did prior to selling me the car was to install a big ol Bosch battery. I don't know what the repair guy did to the battery, but she's been starting up like a champ for the past two days. I'm scheduling the 90k tune up this week so I'll be interested to see how she makes out. They gave me everything they work on and it seems pretty comprehensive. One thing I want to do is order a fuel filter so they can change that out. I'm pretty sure they didn't do that when they replaced the fuel pump.

Quick question.....what is the average life of a timing belt on the Saab 9-3 to be specific.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts