SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a 91 900s Convertible. It ran great for a few days but now starts only when it wants too!:x When I go to start it it will not turn over but I have power to all the gauges and my battery and charging system is good. Then I'll try again hrs or days later and it will start right up!!! What the heck is the deal!!
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine was doing that once in awhile and its the starter thats starting to go. If it didnt turn over but still got power, i'd hit the starter a bit and then it would start fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check the starter that maybe it. The battery and cables are new with no corrosion.

Thanks guys I'll give those ideas a try.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Clean&Saaber said:
I've recently purchased a 91 900s Convertible. It ran great for a few days but now starts only when it wants too!:x When I go to start it it will not turn over but I have power to all the gauges and my battery and charging system is good. Then I'll try again hrs or days later and it will start right up!!! What the heck is the deal!!
Thanks for any help!
My 81 turbo has been doing that except it happens when the engine is hot (did it yesterday when I stopped 100 km from home to get some cash from an ATM!), so I suspect the solenoid is having trouble when the engine has been running hard.

If you give the starter motor a hit or two with a hammer (gently!), or use something like a steel punch to reach it and hit that to apply impact force to a specific spot, see if the car will start.

My 85 900i had a starter problem a while back too and it turned out to be a sticking solenoid. It was not heat-related though - coolant was dripping on it from the coolant hoses running to the throttle valve where they leaks at the throttle valve ports. It had worked into the solenoid over time and make it stick.

Check that the bolts holding the starter to the engine at the front are done up properly and that the starter is sitting in it's mount correctly. It's unlikely but if the starter isn't secured properly the gear that engages the flywheel or driveplate can bind or be unable to engage the teeth, or get caught half-way.

It's more likely to be a solenoid problem though.

Craig.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks C900 I will give that a try. Nothings worse than sitting in a great lookin car and going nowhere!!;oops:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Clean&Saaber said:
Thanks C900 I will give that a try. Nothings worse than sitting in a great lookin car and going nowhere!!;oops:
Indeed! Let us know what you find out.

Craig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts