SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could end up sounding very stupid so bear with me, i'm kinda learning as i go.

So everytime i go to start the car (which is all of six or so times, i got it yesterday morning.), it delays a little before actually starts. I can tell everything is moving, like its trying to start, and it takes about 4 seconds before it actually kicks in and its ready to drive. It makes the same sound as if you were trying to start a car with a dead or very low battery, but the difference is that it starts.

Could it be that the battey just needs a charge, or i might need a new one?

Also, its vibrating pretty badly but i'm gonna get it checked out tomorrow or Tuesday, i've been giving the search tool a run for its money all day :D

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
If you're driving the car, the battery should get charged as you drive. You will get about three years max out of a new battery. Slow cranking to start could very well be the battery but you don't know for sure without getting a load test done. Charge the battery fully then get it load tested then see if it goes dead overnight.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MacNoob said:
If you're driving the car, the battery should get charged as you drive. You will get about three years max out of a new battery. Slow cranking to start could very well be the battery but you don't know for sure without getting a load test done. Charge the battery fully then get it load tested then see if it goes dead overnight.
Thanks for the advice! What is a load test?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Any mechanic and many auto parts stores will have a machine that they connect to the battery and simulates starting loads to test the battery.

If your battery is over three years old you're probably just as far ahead to just replace it since these cars eat batteries pretty quickly. Duralast 48DL at Autozone is a good battery identical fit to the original at a great price.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MacNoob said:
Any mechanic and many auto parts stores will have a machine that they connect to the battery and simulates starting loads to test the battery.

If your battery is over three years old you're probably just as far ahead to just replace it since these cars eat batteries pretty quickly. Duralast 48DL at Autozone is a good battery identical fit to the original at a great price.
Thanks! The first time i start it for the day, it cranks a little longer than normal (i hate to compare it to my mother's pathfinder, but hers starts so fast!) and finally starts, but then times after that it gets easier to start, i figure because the battery's been charging. I'm gonna go over to my auto parts store tomorrow cause they do load testing for free.

I appreciate your advice, the last thing i need to do is wake up with a dead car one day!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
an update..

Well, i took it to my auto parts store, and they checked the battery, all clear. (Which i figured, the seller's records state 8/07 battery change) SO, i took it to one of the two places near me that deal wtih Saab's. Man A said maybe fuel pump, and i was too lazy to get to Man B today.

SO, since it still starts relatively well and everything, and it runs fine when it starts, i'm going to hold off getting it fixed for a few weeks and get it checked out when i go for the 120k service in a couple weeks... I've got a backup car in case, so i'm just going to wait considering its not getting worse.

Could it be the fuel pump? I'm aware of how expensive that is :eek: my bank account is already hating me...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
makingwaves said:
Could it be the fuel pump? I'm aware of how expensive that is :eek: my bank account is already hating me...
You dont have to replace the whole unit, you can just buy the pump bit, way cheaper!

Try a "fuel pump" search ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
You dont have to replace the whole unit, you can just buy the pump bit, way cheaper!

Try a "fuel pump" search ;)
Thank you much :D I'm a young girl, so i kind of have a target on my face whenever i walk into a repair shop that says "hey, you should rip me off", so thats what i'm trying to avoid. :D

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Try this: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108030&highlight=fuel+pump

MacNoob seems to have it covered ;)

MacNoob said:
You can access the fuel pump through a cutout in the carpet under the rear seat - the electrical connector is right there so you can check for power. I also bought a pump from fuelpumps.com ($85 US) which works fine, for that price no point risking a used one. They don't list for a 9-5 but this one is exactly the same:

http://www.fuelpumps.com/19951998-saab-9000-fuel-pump-4-cyl-23l-eng-b234e-efi-p-3231.html

If you whack the fuel tank with a rubber hammer you can sometimes get the pump to start - if it's just a dead spot on the pump. Then you can get the car home.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
makingwaves said:
Once i get under the seat, i don't even have the slightest clue how to check for power...is it about the same as fuse box?
You dont need to because your pump works, but perhaps has become weak hence the longer cranking time :confused:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
You dont need to because your pump works, but perhaps has become weak hence the longer cranking time :confused:
Lovely :roll: I'm planning on waiting a couple weeks to get it fixed when i go for my 120k service. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it will last. Are there any signs that its circling the drain (any moreso than it already is)? Obviously i don't want to get stuck on the highway with a screwy fuel pump.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Any answer would be a guess really, I suppose all our fuel pumps could fail tomorrow :confused:

It's unlikely though and to be honest a fuel pump normally gets quite loud (whine) before they fail :confused:

Your mechanic needs to check the fuel pressure I guess to see if the pump is failing :confused:

To be honest the service with new plugs etc could sort it out for you anyways ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Any answer would be a guess really, I suppose all our fuel pumps could fail tomorrow :confused:

It's unlikely though and to be honest a fuel pump normally gets quite loud (whine) before they fail :confused:

Your mechanic needs to check the fuel pressure I guess to see if the pump is failing :confused:

To be honest the service with new plugs etc could sort it out for you anyways ;)
Sounds good, i made an appoinment with my mechanic on Tuesday so he could check it out. Thanks for the help, i'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I'd get the service done and see if that helps personally.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
I'd get the service done and see if that helps personally.
Well i've got an appointment tuesday, so i'll just go and see if he will check out that stuff... The more i think of it, the more i agree with you. I definitely don't want to walk out to my car and it not start out of the blue.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts