SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you are familiar, you can normally start your car by keeping your fob close to the ignition and and using your thumb to turn the ignition. I found out today if you get your car rolling a decent speed (like while on a hill), use your thumb to turn the ignition to the "on" position (regardless of where they key is) and just engage the car into gear that it will start right up.

The only thing I noticed is an error pops up on the SID saying key not recognized and to contact the dealer and then the windows didn't work. I thought it was kind of amusing.

Someone could probably steal my car that way if they ignore the alarm going off. I think the alarm turns off anyways once the car is started.

Does anyone know if starting a car by rolling it down a hill and engaging a gear causes any damage to the car? I'd think it'd save on wear and tear on the starter.

·
Registered
353 Posts
any wear-and-tear you'd save for the starter would be negated by extra wear and tear on the clutch, crank, etc.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The point would be moot because if someone tries to steel your car, they would have to first gain entry into the car by breaking the windows and at that point the immobolizer kicks in and would prevent the car from moving, therefore, I would think your rolling start method would not be possible anymore.

Would anyone tend to agree with this statement?

Paul

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Are you saying that the ignition system works even without a keyfob being recognized? That seems wrong...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I dont think this is possible with an automatic Gbox. So my car is pretty safe. I dont know why u guys mess up with yr cars like this. here the damn thing/spares r so expensive that u really dont want to 'experiment' with the car so called 'possibilities' unless stated in the book.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes it has to do with dumping unburnt fuel into the catalytic converter. Can damage the converter. Also doesn't give any chance for establishing stable oil pressure before reaching higher RPM's. Also no chance for all the electronics to boot up before operating, lots of opportunity for damage. There's probably more bad things, but that's all I can think of.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Really? If so, this sounds like a major oversight on SAAB's part...
But what about the steering wheel lock? (On my '07) the sateering wheel is locked unless the FOB is in the ignition.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The key thing here (excuse the pun!) is that the transponder in the key is close to the ignition slot when you press the base of the slot down and turn.

It is essentially the same as having the key in the ignition.

I posted this back in 2003 but the thread has gone.

You can actually start the engine normally by keeping the key near the ignition and turning the ignition slot with your thumb.

It will occasionally throw the error message, but thats it.

It isn't a security issue, as the key must be within a few cm. of the slot.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The Swedish Bullet said:
Really? If so, this sounds like a major oversight on SAAB's part...
But what about the steering wheel lock? (On my '07) the sateering wheel is locked unless the FOB is in the ignition.
Hold key right next to slot, insert finger in slot, push base down and turn key. Should work.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Nickshu said:
Yes it has to do with dumping unburnt fuel into the catalytic converter. Can damage the converter.
I'd think that would be more of a problem with a carbureted vehicle. In that case the carburetor would dump unburned fuel into the catalytic converter if the engine were turning but the key wasn't "ON".

A fuel injected vehicle will not supply fuel to the engine without also supplying a spark to ignite the fuel (unless it's broken).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought the OP was saying that it didn't matter if the key was near the ignition or not. On a reread, I see I was mistaken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts