SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, my starter is stuck in place!?
After some fighting trying to get my hands in the smallest of spaces, I've decided I need to take out my starter in order to reach my CPS. I'm currently trying to replace my CPS on my '03 9.3. I've watched every video on the internet, and can't seem to get it from the top, which I've found out is pretty normal?

I got the car on ramps, went under and took care of the top bolt connecting the starter housing. I took the small washers off and removed the connecting wires attached to the starter. Once I did that and tried taking the bottom bolt off that was holding the starter in place, I felt no pressure. It wouldn't budge. The whole starter housing feels like it's locked in place, and I can't make it even wiggle for the life of me. Feels like there's a bolt in there but I'm 99.99% sure I took the right bolts out. The bottom bolt is the exact bolt I took out as the top, and I've checked videos to make sure they have the same look/location.

What can I do? I can't get to my CPS without taking the starter off. I even tried taking the long/thin 5 inch bolts out of the top and bottom in the front of the starter and moving it to the side on top of the exhaust pipe. Reached in and can only get a finger on the CPS. No luck there unless I find a 5 year old with tiny hands (I'm not going to try and look for that).

I think the only way to get this CPS out is to get the starter out, but IT WON'T BUDGE!! Ideas would be lovely to get this thing unstuck!!
Thanks! ;ol;
Luke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Luke

Welcome to Saabcentral!
Fill in your profile makes things a bit easier re car specification etc

This may help.......

Hey! Thanks so much for the reply! I updated a thing or two.
I'd post pictures of the two bolts I took out/my starter and CPS, but unfortunately can't yet on this account..
That picture is super helpful, I wish I got ahold of that before I went under the car, thanks so much.
Unfortunately, I've done all of those steps up to taking out the bolts. Number 5 on the diagram are the bolts I was wondering about, specifically the top one. I read somewhere that somebody took the wrong one out, so I took another look a few minutes ago and i'm positive I took out the correct bolts (#5). About to give it a little hit with a rubber mallet, but I don't think it's gonna budge.. I'll keep you updated!
Thanks for the advice :)
Luke

·
Registered
50 Posts
i just did one on my 07. that top bolt is a pita. you have to go by "feel". you can't see while your doing it.

if you took out 2 torx head bolts with your "e" socket, then the starter should come out rather easily. these bolts are exactly the same. i'm not 100% on the size, but they looked to me like 12mm bolts. make sure you remove the right bolts. it will drop out for you when you do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just did one on my 07. that top bolt is a pita. you have to go by "feel". you can't see while your doing it.

if you took out 2 torx head bolts with your "e" socket, then the starter should come out rather easily. these bolts are exactly the same. i'm not 100% on the size, but they looked to me like 12mm bolts. make sure you remove the right bolts. it will drop out for you when you do.
Shame. Can't post images of these bolts.
I took out the two torx head bolts, right around 12mm I think I used.Thing's stuck in place, won't drop won't even give the slightest hint of pressure. Definitely the right bolts. I've triple checked. Only two bolts around besides the long 5 inch rods going through the top and bottom of the starter.

Looks like I may have to just bring it in ): I'll update you when I figure it out... thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,202 Posts
Turn the crank bolt clockwise and see if that gets it unstuck.

·
Super Moderator
9,061 Posts
why is there no mention of the sai pump as it's an 03,needs to be removed..

·
Super Moderator
20,202 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm an inexperienced mechanic, so pardon me if I don't mention everything correctly... I haven't seen anything about a sai pump.
Most of the videos/posts I've seen take the top torx bolt out from the top of the car, and then finish under it.
I got both bolts out from under. I watched a guide on how to properly take out the top torx bolt from under the car. It's tricky, but with the right tools it can be done. So, If I'm doing anything wrong, or going from the incorrect places, let me know.
Thanks for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
20,202 Posts
I'm gonna have to figure out what this crank bolt is. I'll do some research... just got home from work. Thanks!
The bolt that rotates the crank. Every car has one. Can't miss it. DO NOT GO COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts